Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Cheapest way to live in vegas short term?

For the past hour of so ive been using the search results and searching google for the answer to this, not much luck, so im curious if any of you have experiences with living the cheap life in vegas?

My goal is to live there for a few months and get a glimpse of what grinding would be like long term. Also cheap ways to travel would be of interest.

Should I find a grimy hotel and deal with the grimeyness? Should I try to rent/lease a house from someone and rent a car?

Will be probabily grinding 20/40-30/60 limit with a sleep schedule to be somewhat rested when the games get shorthanded. Trying to find games that go shorthanded etc.
Don't know if this effects anything.

Any insight would be apreciated, thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Cheapest way to live in vegas short term?

Look for extended stay hotels if you want something that is both flexible and cheap in case you decide to end your experiment early.

Do searches like "+extended +stay +vegas" or "+corporate +apartment +vegas" and you will see results
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 AM

http://www.budgetsuites.com/

I'm considering staying there for a while... but all I know about them is what's on their website. If there are better options out there, I'd like to hear about them. =)
Old 03-05-2007, 03:13 AM

Yea, definitely look into long term hotels. A guy I work with stayed in one of these for about a year before he bothered getting a more permanent place. I think it was around $800/month for a pretty decent place, all utilities included.

Vegas would be awful without a car so I would suggest getting a cheap used car out here.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:34 AM

It's a lot cheaper to find someone looking for a roommate than staying in a motel, even a grimy one. An important benefit is it will have a refrigerator and cooking facilities.

Renting a car for a few months will cost you more than buying a beater and selling it after you're done with it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM

I would check the Motel 6 across the street from the MGM Grand. A week there normally would cost about $330 but if you commit to staying a few months, they would probably give you a better deal.

With that, you could avoid car rentals and cab fares.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.budgetsuites.com/

I'm considering staying there for a while... but all I know about them is what's on their website. If there are better options out there, I'd like to hear about them. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the minimum stay at a place like Budget Suites? Would they be a reasonable option for something like a 3-week stay?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 AM

You have a good idea there...

Check out craigslist here
Old 03-05-2007, 09:33 AM

How much is your life worth? Every serial killer, pervert, and outlaw in the U.S. asks the same question---because they all head to Vegas. Vegas on the cheap can be dangerous.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much is your life worth? Every serial killer, pervert, and outlaw in the U.S. asks the same question---because they all head to Vegas. Vegas on the cheap can be dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really believe this, or do you just want to be dramatic? Stats indicate that Vegas is safer than (for example) Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago. Take a look.