Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: UTG (25/13) limps and you from the button make it $9 to go. Folded to the UTG limper who reraises
55 9 50.00%
AQo 1 5.56%
AJs 1 5.56%
JTs 4 22.22%
76s 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Karaoke

tug,

Have a few drinks and get ready to rock the house w/ some Bon Jovi Wanted Dead or Alive. That went over so well they want you to do another, how about Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams (this one helps to have a chick singing with you and then get the crowd singing along too). I only end up doing it about once a year, but karaoke rules.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, the whole concept is strange: people earnestly singing songs in front of total strangers, ostensibly for their approval...
It made me think, why do people do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I go with my friends. They get a kick out of me singing (I'm good). The approval of strangers is nice, but by itself, it's not enough to get me up there.

People who go to karaoke alone are the most pathetic people I've ever seen. I remember one time, seeing a guy sitting by himself. He gets called up to sing his song. When the song is over, instead of going back to his bar stool, he just walked out of the place. I can't explain that.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM

I sing my music to myself.

I would never ever ever do it in public. Like Del said, "Emcees need to know their limitations."
Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM

I thoroughly enjoy karaoke, and frequently get a great response from strangers who enjoy watching me perform. I am a terrible singer, but karaoke is all about stage presence.

I prefer to sing Styx, Hall and Oates, Backstreet Boys, and Foreigner.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have, more than once, drunkenly belted a well-known tune in an ill-conceived effort to make fun of myself (and win the admiration and validation of the faceless masses, let's be honest).

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting responses thus far. Yours is closest to my one and only act: I pick "Sweet Caroline" and scream the song at the top of my lungs a la Sam Kinison, e.g. "good times never felt so good AND THEN YOU SLEPT AROUND ON ME YOU BITCH WHORE SLUUT I HOPE YOU DIE AND GO TO HELL OH OOOOOOOOOOOOOH". This of course receives a tepid response by those who take it more seriously, but I enjoy it.

I guess I have a case of stage fright where I can't bring myself to belt out a tune in earnest and risk public rejection, but at the same time I'm baffled when I see things like a chick singing the theme to "Titanic" and acting all like she's on stage at the Grammys.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Sweet Caroline is a great song to sing

SWEEET CAROLINE <DAH DAH DAH> GOOD TIMES NEVER FELT SO GOOD <SOOOO GOOD SOOO GOOD SOOO GOOD>~
Old 01-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Tuq - if you come to LA let us go out and "noraebang" - entails getting a private room (standard room fits up to 12 people or so), get boozed up while karaoking, with many opps to sing your favorite toonz.

-Al
Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 PM

LOVE karaoke. I can sing. But anytime I do karaoke I'm terrible on purpose. I dont think it's fun when people sing good. ha ha ha. And I'm NEVER sober when I do it.

My dream: Open up a kitschy bowling alley/karaoke bar. Myabe w/ some classic antique arcade games.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM

I sang karaoke once. In a mega-dive bar. "Werewolves Of London". Standing ovation. Retired on a high note.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My dream: Open up a kitschy bowling alley/karaoke bar. Myabe w/ some classic antique arcade games.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be awesome. I would frequent your establishment.