Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Official EDF MMA Thread Vol. II

El D locked the old thread due to its unwieldy length. Relevant topics from the old thread:

Roger Huerta's style and getting through Clay Guida

GSP subbing for Matt Serra

Cung Le being demolished by Frank Shamrock
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Official EDF MMA Thread Vol. II

Mikey,

Cung Le should at least get bonus points for having a name that reminds me of Chong Li.

Thoughts on Ultimate Fighter yesterday? Tommy looked impressively strong and definitely has tons of heart, but it also looks to me like he'd get submitted pretty easily by someone with top-level submission skills. Agree?

Decently entertaining episode last night.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D locked the old thread due to its unwieldy length. Relevant topics from the old thread:

Roger Huerta's style and getting through Clay Guida

GSP subbing for Matt Serra

Cung Le being demolished by Frank Shamrock

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Cung would have a decent chance if he could keep the fight standing, and he's shown some good takedown defense so far.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Im shocked the fight wasn't over when Tommy got put in the arm bar.... very impressed that he got out.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 AM

Yeah, Tommy's ability to escape the armbar and triangle was impressive. I still don't think him or Matt have the same experience and ability as Mac or George. Speaking of, LOL @ "the best matchup" being Mac/Matt and George/Tommy. They're clearly angling for a Mac/George final.

I'm glad the TUF season's almost over. The only thing I want to see at this point is George/Mac, and I have little reason to believe that won't be the matchup in the finale.

Cung doesn't have enough KO power to win on the feet against Shamrock, and there's little chance he could effectively keep the fight there. Frank is just too good and too experienced as a well-rounded fighter. I like Cung, and it'll be interesting how he can evolve, but right now, Frank's just too much for him.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 AM

MP,

"I have little reason to believe that won't be the matchup in the finale."

They made it look like one of the guys can't fight for some reason, likely a training injury I'd imagine. So I guess there's a greater than expected chance that it's a different final.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 PM

El D,

The most likely injury is Tommy's ridiculous cut. Would make sense that it opens back up during training at some point. Not gonna rule out something else though.

I've been reading Mac's blog every week, and I'm fairly certain he's getting to the finals judging by what and how he writes.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM

MP,

That was my most obvious guess as well. I was actually kinda looking forward to seeing Tommy fight George with a gameplan of just plain overpowering him. George definitely didn't look super impressive in his last fight and I think it would have been an interesting matchup.

I think there's a good possibility it's someone else, just because the Tommy cut is such an obvious one.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM

I always misread these thread titles as 'official EDF MDMA' thread and get really excited. Then I realize it is about karate and I can't contribute. Except this.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM

WRT the impending injury on the next TUF episode, couldn't it also easily be Tommy's left arm?

Yes, he got out of armbar, but it looked just about fully sunk and there is a good chance that he popped something in there and was able to fight through it due to adrenaline.

Who's to say he doesn't wake up the next morning unable to bend his arm?

I hope its not Mac or George fwiw, if I had to pick I'd make it Matt since he's the least interesting of the 4 left. On the same note, I'm getting a little tired of prefight injuries so often being a factor and preventing fights altogether.

Maybe I'm just ignorant but can't these guys just tone it the [censored] down a notch in training if there's any significant chance of an injury that wouldn't allow them to fight? Its very frustrating as a fan.