Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Just turned pro got a couple questions?

all that talk about ROI [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. ROI is Results, and if you care about results you will have a VERY miserable life as a Poker Professional.

Instead; focus on playing the hands the way you are supposed to play em. Sounds cliché but if you want to be a professional, I think this should be the way to approach the game.

Feel free to keep focusing on your ROI though, and go on tilt once your 35% ROI drops to ~10% (which it will)... I'll be happy to pickup the money you tilt off hehe.

You don't want to risk your career/mental wellbeing as a pro, so don't focus on ROI or results. This also implies not being too happy when you get a super hot run (like; ahh YES I made 15 buy-ins tonight, I'm gonna get drunk & laid because I deserve it!).
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all that talk about ROI [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. ROI is Results, and if you care about results you will have a VERY miserable life as a Poker Professional.

Instead; focus on playing the hands the way you are supposed to play em. Sounds cliché but if you want to be a professional, I think this should be the way to approach the game.

Feel free to keep focusing on your ROI though, and go on tilt once your 35% ROI drops to ~10% (which it will)... I'll be happy to pickup the money you tilt off hehe.

You don't want to risk your career/mental wellbeing as a pro, so don't focus on ROI or results. This also implies not being too happy when you get a super hot run (like; ahh YES I made 15 buy-ins tonight, I'm gonna get drunk & laid because I deserve it!).

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems a little silly.

1) Lets say you arent focusing on results, just making good decisions. You know youre winning but you arent really keeping track of how much youre winning, cause that would be results. When do you move up? When do you move down? How do you practice any kind of bankroll management at all. How do you quantify your winrate in one game vs another?

2) You seem to be projecting tilt issues onto other people. In an earlier post the OP said that he doesnt have tilt issues and institutes stop losses. But here youve gone and decided that 1) At some point his ROI will take a massive dive (unlikely) and 2) That he will be thrown into massive tilt by this. (I also like the idea that his ROI will drop by 45% and THEN hell go on tilt and lose his money)

BTW, I always deserve to get drunk and laid.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Lets say you arent focusing on results, just making good decisions. You know youre winning but you arent really keeping track of how much youre winning, cause that would be results. When do you move up? When do you move down? How do you practice any kind of bankroll management at all. How do you quantify your winrate in one game vs another?

2) You seem to be projecting tilt issues onto other people. In an earlier post the OP said that he doesnt have tilt issues and institutes stop losses. But here youve gone and decided that 1) At some point his ROI will take a massive dive (unlikely) and 2) That he will be thrown into massive tilt by this. (I also like the idea that his ROI will drop by 45% and THEN hell go on tilt and lose his money)

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW I dont even need to say anything I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

why isnt this thread locked yet? or...a month ago.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this is serious business. If I turned pro I would definitely start a thread to make sure my 40% ROI over 100 games was sustainable AFTER the decision to go pro.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:03 AM

Some guys are a little snobbish on their definition of "pro".

It's quite possible to make a decent living on $20 sitngos if you play a lot, without even being good. Rakeback alone works out to around $7 an hour at that level if you are multitabling.

Being a pro doesn't mean you have to be a shipithollaballa. If you can live within your means playing online poker can be a good alternative to working in a [censored] job.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:15 AM

You are right to a certain extent PokerSpiv, but there are some significant differences between a real job and poker.

$14/hr at poker != $14/hr real job.

For one, it is harder to consistantly put in 40hrs/week 50wks/yr. However, there are other factors. Playing poker for a living leaves you with risk you don't get at other jobs. So, imo, you need to make more per hour to compensate for risk.

Then there is the fact you're self employed and all the fiscal challenges that go along with that. Buying a car, house, etc.

Basically, as some one playing for a living, I need to make significantly more than I could doing something else, while not having to play a tonne so I can take enjoyment out of the freedom poker provides. I'm close to that point now, but still looking to take that next step.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:29 AM

Some people make near 50/hr at the 16s on stars... I'm sure some few make it without FPPs... and some guys do the same multitabling 60's. 50/hr easily puts you in the top 1/3 of salaries in the US if you could grind it out 40 hr/week. Most can't, don't, or switch to cash. I'm curious if whether or not the old stigma of playing turbos for a higher hourly is really accurate, given a higher # of good regs. playing turbos. Can we assume a good semi-pro with 15% at the turbos on stars for say, 16s, would be hitting 30% if playing non-turbos? I don't even know what the Stars or FTP equivalent of a non-turbo 16 is. I'm sure its something a weaker vig, in stars case. I probably average between 21-23 tables now, and I'm pretty sure that switching to regs would screw me because of my inability to get good reads while multitabling without a hud (pahud can't handle w/out a whole new computer rig), so I just try to rely on making profitable pushes + whatever random reads thru notes that I can get during the first 10 mins of the set before I'm done loading, and I'm curious how much more or less profitable I'd be playing what I would consider the more donk infested regular tables at, say, 15-18 at a time rather than my usual volume . As an aside, this 500 stretch has been impressive. However, I think the STT forum needs to focus on what matters in this form of poker, which is figuring out how to maximize your hourly.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) Well I practice simple bankroll management, I generally prefer to be way over-rolled.. more in the region of 100buy-ins. I dont draw a clear-cut line on when to move up or down. I dont feel the necessity to play at a limit that is according to my bankroll. I just look at it like; $12s give me 1.5$/tourney, $24s 3$ and $60s $5... im well enough rolled to play all 3 of them, but I mostly stick to the $24s and $12s for multitabling. Also I practice table selection, therefor I like the higher volume lower SnGs. (ive got a 50-some people that I avoid on full tilt, like last night I couldnt get a game running because every game I wanted to enter was occupied by players as "good" as me or better.)

2.) I'm sorry I dont mean it in a rude way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Tilt issues are obviously totally person depended, but with Tilt I also mean having less confidence in your play... which most people will have when going through a 20+ buy-in loss streak. (not all though, and thats what separates the Good players from the Pros). Maybe his ROI wont take a nosedive, but it will not stay above 15%, and OP should be aware of this and not question his skills at the game whenever this happens.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh good, still time to get in before lock. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was wondering the same when I saw it on the first page again.