Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Pokerstars notes disappearing?

Hi,
Anyone having a problem with PS notes for a player disappearing not long after you enter them, yet the player's icon still has a note emblem on it?
Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars notes disappearing?

I seem that before, to fix it, I had to manually edit the note file under stars directory
normally, for a note for player named "xxx", you see this line in that file
[xxx]
what ever notes you have,
this can be more than one line
[yyy]
notes for another player

but for whatever reason, once I had the notes looked like th e following
[xxx]
this
[xxx]
is
[xxx]
the
[xxx]
n
[xxx]
o
[xxx]
well you got the ideas now.. just have to delete all those extra entries and things went back to being fine
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Your notes file may be corrupt. I had a similar problem. The name of the file is notes.txt which you can find in Pokerstars installation folder. Just make a copy of the file for backup purposes. Open the file by double clicking and it will open in Notepad. Then do a "File Save As", using the same name "notes.txt" --- this should do the trick.

Also alternatively, make sure that when you are making notes that the players name is displayed in the note header. I have also found myself writing notes and then having the notes disappear and often this will be the case.

Hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 07:21 AM

Yea, it was corrupt. had a ton of

[null][null][null][null][null][null]

entries. Just replaced it with a backup and all is good.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

my notes have disappeared. if i open PS and make a new note, then close PS, then open again, the note i just made is no longer there
please help
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my notes have disappeared. if i open PS and make a new note, then close PS, then open again, the note i just made is no longer there
please help

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a backup, replace your "notes.txt" file with your backup. If not, you may be able to move the file out of the pokerstars folder and make a new one, but I have not done that so I can't be certain that it will work properly.

You can always open it up and take a look at it to see what the problems are.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Do you use Windows Vista?

If so, make sure you accept the UAC prompt when you start PokerStars. If you're not getting this prompt, remove any shortcuts you have to PokerStars, and reinstall.

Here is a copy of a template I had for UAC issues when I worked support:

--

By default, Windows Vista restricts programs from writing to the C:\Program Files folder when they are running as a standard user. This is fine for some programs, but for PokerStars it's a problem - since PokerStars' updater program needs to be able to write to the C:\Program Files folder to install the latest updates, and PokerStars itself needs to write to the folder to store notes, settings, hand histories, theme files, and so on.

The UAC prompt appears because PokerStarsUpdate.exe is requesting 'elevation' from Windows so that it can write to the C:\Program Files folder. Without this elevation, neither PokerStarsUpdate or PokerStars itself will work correctly.

If you bypass PokerStarsUpdate.exe, you won't get the UAC prompt, but PokerStars won't function as expected because it doesn't have permissions to write to the C:\Program Files directory.

There are two ways around this. First of all, if you find the UAC prompts annoying in general (I know I do), you can 'silence' them while still leaving UAC enabled using a program called 'TweakUAC'. Obviously I should make it clear that PokerStars does not endorse this program and you use it at your own risk:

http://www.tweak-uac.com/

Another possibility is to install PokerStars to a different directory on your machine, such as your user directory:

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\PokerStars

PokerStars won't need special permissions to write to this directory, so it should be able to run properly without requiring UAC elevation. Once more, we make no guarantees that this will work, but it's worth a try.

--

Hope that helps.