Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Since you all read this at Absolute Poker

wtf harrah's sounds like the worst company in the world

I love taking money off of them when I'm in vegas
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Since you all read this at Absolute Poker

[ QUOTE ]

I talked to the guy who ran both of the things and he explained how they each went down. I get the feeling that it was not in the forefront of their minds to make the donation. However, someone might be able to verify the following re: the popcorn.

First, the guy told me that because of Harrahs' rules, they had to buy the popcorn at around $2-$3 a pop from Harrah's and that no branding whatsoever was allowed on the bags. Second, he said the total cost of the popcorn was mid to high five figures. AP took a decent loss on the popcorn v donations even if they did plan on keeping the donations (I'm not convinced of that in the least). I'm sure someone will be able to contact Harrah's about that and confirm or refute.

I don't know what you mean by making things right after the fact. Do you think someone was going to publicize it in January or February of 2007 when AP was dealing with the issue? Or do you think they never actually sent the money? Or do you think the charity is a sham? Please be more specific about what you think went wrong here.

FWIW, I believe AP was doing this as a marketing opportunity (obviously) and the donation money raised was kind of an afterthought. No one there has really said anything to make me think otherwise. So they definitely had their best interest in mind through the whole thing. But I'm really not convinced it was some malicious attempt to keep the money if that's what you're thinking ... I'd like to see the reasoning behind that thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, they were popping their own popcorn (there was an actual cart making it right there), so if you were told that they paid $2-$3 per bag, you were lied to. There's no way Harrah's could have charged by the bag, given that AP was making it themselves.

Second, there was no "guy" in charge, to my knowledge. The employee who I was told quit is female, and I was also told that this particular person was personally in charge of the popcorn-for-charity project. When AP didn't donate the money, this person complained, got nowhere, and quit in outrage. Or at least that's what I was told.