Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Weird preflop checkup

Been quite a while since i found myself in a tough spot preflop. Thought this was kinda interesting but who knows.

Canterbury 30-60
Game is very good. Most players are just in town for a series of tournements and are of no real threat limit poker wise.
UTG in this hand usually plays 15-30 and is out of his confort zone. I've definatly sensed he's playing tight and borderline "scared".
UTG+1 bad passive fishy player. Loser in the game and not important to note.

UTG opens, UTG+1 coldcalls, you look down at 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , with what frequency are we three beating here? How bad, if at all, is just coldcalling in the anticipation of winning a huge pot if you flop a set.

Some things to consider: Game is bad enough where calling three cold may not be that big of an obstacle to 2-3 players behind us.
Players in this game are bad enough that coldcalling really wont translate into a hand range to them-they are thinking about their own cards far more than yours.
UTG's hand range is gonna be pretty tight but definalty includes AQs, AKs, AKos, AQos along with the regualr monsters.
Even if we are behind UTG theres a good chance we can control the amount of bets he puts in if we are behind i.e. he will shut down pretty quickly when shown strength.

Anyways probably not life or death either way but i'd like to hear some thoughts on it. Thanks a bunch
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Weird preflop checkup

What's our table image at this point? Are we winning at the table, have we been called down light etc...

I've talked with some live players that frequent those games (30/40/1-2) and it seems the popular consensus is pump it or dump it.

I like the idea of the guy being out of his comfort zone and 3 betting him in this spot, especially with so many behind that might call anyway and possibly getting a nice overlay.

More important to note that sets in limit aren't as huge as they are in NL where you are going to receive a nice payday. And this player sounds like the one that isn't going to go the distance 3betting big streets w/ tptk.

It also sounds like you feel you are ahead of enough of his range to push this edge.

In theory, I'd be more inclined to 3 bet in this circumstance, but my experience in this spot is limited.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM

My first reaction is always to 3 bet in motion, but now that i think about it i kinda like playing this for two bets knowing that calling 90 cold to those guys is nothing.
It actually sometimes has the opposite effect of what the 3 bet is supposed to do. You are a fish anyways and i'm sure you played the hand horribly.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:17 PM

If the blinds are tight I would 3bet. If they are fishy-loose then I would cc.
Also, one of the main considerations for 3betting a tight opener and ccer w/ 88 is that you will be getting the button most of the time. If these guys are prone to burning money anytime they see a pot developing then one of the pros of 3betting goes out the window and on balance probably tips the scale in favor of ccing.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

im not exactly sure of the game dynamics, but i would imagine that im probably cc'ing with any pair lower then TT maybe JJ in this spot. the two blinds will more then likely come along and probably one or two other randoms, and its a pretty easy hand to get away from.

but i think just calling with 88 is probably the best.
the way you run itll come down A88 with 2 hearts, someone will have KThh someone will have AA someone will have AQo and you will win like a 3k pot.

wp nh sir
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I think this is backwards. The guy is playing scared, and he still raised UTG. He's more likely than normal to have a big pair here. I don't like my 88 all that much, and even if I did, there is a cold-caller in between us.

I don't think this is going to win unimproved very often. I want to play this for 2-bets, not 3 or 4.

[ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of the guy being out of his comfort zone and 3 betting him in this spot, especially with so many behind that might call anyway and possibly getting a nice overlay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Playing this for 2 bets for simply set value is -ev in long run, simple game theory. OP stated that in this particular game the players behind have no problem calling 3 cold.

Id rather 3bet or dump this hand, and in this game, with the overlay, 3 betting and hitting once will be hugely profitable.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing this for 2 bets for simply set value is -ev in long run, simple game theory. OP stated that in this particular game the players behind have no problem calling 3 cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

what in god's name are you talking about?

The exact number of ppl left to act matters. Assuming it's 3 or more, I'd coldcall 88, but 3b TT+. If I were in HJ, maybe 3b 99+, and if I'm in CO or button, I'd 3b 88+. No great reasoning behind it, except the general idea that ppl are more willing to call 2 than 3 and the chances a monster is out behind us and we don't get the "button" decreases the fewer players behind us left to act.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM

This seems like a pretty easy coldcall. I assume from your post you are next to act and there have been no folds in between you and the coldcaller. I am happy to get a big pot going and with the desciption of the initial raiser you are basically always going to be a slight favorite or a big dog. The small bet can be reinvested on the flop when you flop well and saved when the flop is crap for your hand.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 PM

this seems like a pretty easy coldcall to me