Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 AM

Default help me with this JJ hand, late

late in stars $1, down to about 25, I am 4th in chips. Villian here has seemed loose PF and miniraising like this alot. The two guys between us having been sitting out so this table is playing short handed

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t8000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t53236)
Hero (t179636)
MP3 (t75813)
CO (t86707)
Button (t54817)
SB (t122794)
BB (t262475)
UTG (t191806)
UTG+1 (t129955)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t16000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t40000</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls t24000.

Flop: (t82800) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t32000</font>, UTG calls t32000.

Turn: (t146800) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: help me with this JJ hand, late

bet more on the flop, as played, check behind and maybe call a river bet depending on card/reads/etc
Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Preflop raise is too small. With antes, you're giving him something like 3:1 odds to call you...and probably good enough implied odds that he's correct to call with any lower pair (as well as AK or AQ). Definitely need to raise more. Probably push, given your read.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 AM

This nine is not such a bad card. If villain filled up with it, he had to have called flop with a gutshot draw.

Still, he might just very well have done this, because of the big odds you were giving him by your tiny flop bet. This was a big mistake, IMO. I bet at least t50000 there, possibly more.

Check behind on the turn seems fine. This way your line looks quite weak (I mean look at it man), which is good because it will possibly induce a bluff by villain. Also, a gazillion cards pair the board.

Notice how [censored] you'd be in this hand if you didn't have position.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Make the pre flop re raise 3 times his raise.

Make sure you bet AT LEAST 2/3 of the pot on the flop.

If he still calls to the turn and checks, or as played, check behind and pray the board pairs. If it doesnt I probably call his river bet depending on size.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Meh at this point in the tournament I don't have that much of a problem with how you played it. I usually raise bigger PF but I doubt an extra 8000 chips is going to make a loose player fold, and you probably don't mind him calling with trash if he will pay off with a weak pair. On flop your bet is small but once again not awful because 1) you flopped a huge hand and 2) board is drawy but he can't know you have a huge hand and might get sucked into it if he catches. You'd like him to fold a gutshot but he's going to make a mistake UNLESS he either has the 9 in his hand or stacks you on his gutshot. I would check the turn because he is probably folding w/o the straight and raising you with it. Best case scenario is you boat up and he has the straight and makes a big bet...if next card is a blank and he makes a big bet you have a tougher decision.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This nine is not such a bad card. If villain filled up with it, he had to have called flop with a gutshot draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhh, KQ/AQ are open ended and double gutted respectively. QQ is also possible. Those are the only queens that should raise UTG and call a reraise preflop (yes, I realize that this is a $1 tournament. Yes, when I say that these hands should raise I actually mean that KQ should fold but that in a $1 tournament it makes sense as a raise/call.) All of these hands would also have called the flop so what exectly is your point about a gutshot fiksdal?

OP,
I think that you are receiving a lot of results oriented feedback in this thread ("oh, a 9 fell, if UTG has Q2o its the OPs fault for not pushing the flop") These posters are rediculous and wrong with their logic. However, they are right with their point that you should have bet more on the flop.

You should be betting enough on the flop that the villain will call all in on the turn and that your turn bet will not seem like an overbet. You are never going to price out KQ/AQ (in a $1 tournament those hands will call, in a higher buyin they will check raise you all in.) You should have bet around 60k, enough so that when you bet 80k all in on the river the villain will feel like he is pot committed to calling with AA/KK/QQ/TT/99/88/AQ/KQ and any other crap that he is playing that connected with the flop.

As played, the worst possible card fell on the turn because it will kill your action if the villain has an overpair or maybe even a set. The 9 made it so that you will only get your chips in on the turn if you are beat (I think although I might be underestimating the level of donkness in a $1 tourney.) If you fill up on the river you will still get all in against a straight so that is not a concern. The turn card also presents a scare card that the villain may want to try to take advantage of with a river bluff. In order for him to bluff you need to give him the opportunity to bluff. Because of this, the turn is an easy check. I would call a bet of up to 60k on the river (read dependant).

Edit: You might want to also reevaluate your preflop play. Reraising JJ aganst an UTG raiser without any reads is marginally +cEV but it may make things very difficult for you postflop. You might want to take the easy way out and smooth call until you are more comfortable with your postflop play.