Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 AM

Default $50 reg against aggro fish (NLTRN)

First hand he raised all-in, second hand he 3 bet me and I folded, 3rd hand he raised and I folded. Sharkscope says he's a fish.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1400
BB: t1600

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t130)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t200, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t220)</font>.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t240, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t240</font>, Hero ...

On the flop I don't know yet whether he's a 'strong min bet' or 'weak min bet' type player. I felt it safer to call and not let the pot get too out of control with what could easily be 2nd best hand. What's your play on the turn and why?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: $50 reg against aggro fish (NLTRN)

If he likes to 3bet I seriously hate your preflop raise because if he makes a big reraise, you can't call. On turn, I call and let him bluff his stack at me on the river. On the river I call no mother what falls.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:37 PM

My play is to raise the flop and see if he will give me any more information about his hand.

Raising is way better than calling the flop.

i would make a pot sized reraise, this obviously negates the question about the turn, but it makes things simple for you.

If he does come all in, I think i can easily outplay this donk and im gonna wait for a better spot to get my $ in.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 AM

as i minimum i call. you chop A8 and below, and have a shot at the nutflush. If you think your ace is best you could even argue a shove here, as this player looks donk enough to call with 2nd pair or worse.

Still, he could be sitting on a 2 pair type hand here. I think I smooth call here and evaluate on the river.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 AM

I changed my mind. I think given the villain is a total aggro fish, I'm inclined to shove this turn here. He's liable to call much worse hands, and you have a nice shot at the nut flush. I poker stoved it:

AA,QQ,TT-99,A2s+,Q6s+,T9s,A2o+,Q6o+,T9o

I just added KJ in there 2. Basically looking at Any A, any 2 pair hand, set, str8 or most Queen hands as well. You are sitting at about 51% equity. I think you are going to be ahead here a lot. I say shove, and make him make a bad call. If you get unlucky and he does happen to be ahead, you still have outs.

The problem with this type of fishy player is that they try to run you over. And many times they can, if you don't realize how to beat them before it's too late. He's in the process of doing it to you now. The best way to beat them is to let them bet your solid hands for you, and also be prepared to call light, as they are often bluffing total rags. I think your top pair will be good a lot of the time here. I also think he calls light, as he appears to be a donk.

I say shove. If he folds, that puts you ahead in the match. Then you can let him run into your big hands some more.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My play is to raise the flop and see if he will give me any more information about his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this guy, if you raise and he pushes you don't have much more information than when the hand started as he could easily do this with a gutshot, bottom pair, or air. Having said that however, calling a push is clouded in uncertainty.

We might end up making a decision for all our chips just calling anyway but at least we'll have more information having gotten to the river. I've been practising my runner runner flushes anyway - it's coming...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this guy, if you raise and he pushes you don't have much more information than when the hand started as he could easily do this with a gutshot, bottom pair, or air. Having said that however, calling a push is clouded in uncertainty.

We might end up making a decision for all our chips just calling anyway but at least we'll have more information having gotten to the river. I've been practising my runner runner flushes anyway - it's coming...

[/ QUOTE ]

shove turn
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 AM

Why would you not slowplay and let him bluff the river? Believe me, he is shoving the river.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you not slowplay and let him bluff the river? Believe me, he is shoving the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

because your hand isn't that strong. It's solid, and especially against this guy, but there are many scare cards that can hit the river and drive you off the hand. Let's say hypothetically speaking, you smooth call the turn. An 8,J,or K fall on the river, or the board pairs, and you miss your flush... are you calling all shoves here? can you not give the villain credit for a 1 card straight? set? 2 pair? I agree, villain is probably going to shove, regardless. But you are going to have a very difficult time analyzing where you're at. You pretty much know you're ahead on the turn. Against his range, your draw and your pair are almost always ahead, making a shove here +EV.

On the river I'm not so sure. If you miss your draw, then you're hoping he either is shoving 2nd pair, or A8 and below. I don't like auto calling all river shoves, assuming he can't have 2 pair, or A with a better kicker.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 AM

But you can't move all in on turn either because you will only get called if you are beat even if he is a fish he is probably not stupid. I would call and have balls to call the river.