Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: 1500 NL - shortstacked and approaching the bubble

fold. much rather push any 2 than call with 77.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Reads on UTG? I think TT+ is just about right, I maaaaay slim that range down to JJ+ if I'm trying to just cash.

Barry
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM

there was a time when I would have definitely agreed with everyone here about this being an easy fold.

Now I'm not so sure. Here's why... Your opponent has an M of just over 4. If he is a solid player, he's probably shoving just about any 2 cards in this spot to get the first in Viggorish- Harrington.

This hand is very range dependent, it really depends on what kind of range your opponent has. But even worse, you have an M of 3, and are near dead.

I think I'd honestly call here, as the villain's range is probably extremely loose. I admit, I hate calling with 77, and with a healthy stack, I would probably avoid it, but you aren't really near the money now. You need to double up to continue, and this may well be the best hand you get dealt in the next 3 orbits before you're knocked out.

Plus you don't want to let your stack get so low, that no one is folding to you when you shove later.

I say make your stand now. I hate calling here, but I think in this spot, you really have to. that's my $0.02

I say "call". If he tables 99+, then it's not your day, better luck next time.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM

I say fold and it's not close. I understand that you might not get dealt better cards in the next few orbits but will have better spots to shove any two with no one else in the pot where your cards do not matter.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM

id rather shove any 2 next spot you can than to call all-in vs a tight utg shove.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

To call, you need QQ+, and maybe AK if you want to gamboool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I that short? Perhaps I misread it.

You can add JJ if you want, but I'd really not want to be calling here at all. I would much rather just get it in first with J2 than call with AQ.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM

i don't think you need QQ+ here necessarily, but I also don't call w/ 77 in this spot, you definitely want to be first into the pot w/77 with your stack size
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Fold, tight live players don't give a crap about things like "Harrington's M" and "First-in vigorish"; if he's been tight you're probably in bad shape here
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Reads. Didn't have much of a read really. He was new to the table - maybe there for about 30 minutes (which is not many hands live), and he seemed pretty tight. Certainly the bad part was that he moved in UTG - a huge sign of strength. He pushed in his chips somewhat confidently. The action folded to me, and I sat back to deliberate... I looked over him, and he was just staring blankly direcly at me. I'm not sure what to make of the direct stare, but I would think aces or kings would somewhat TRY to look disinterested.

Anyway, I play cash games on-line for a living, and am not so used to the patience that is required live. 7-7 was about the greatest thing I had seen in 75 minutes - perhaps that was made me even consider calling.
----

Results: I folded. The big blind called quickly. Both players tabled AK, and I would have tripled up (the big blind was a giant stack and clearly would have called even if I called). I don't want the results to blind my judgment though.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads. Didn't have much of a read really. He was new to the table - maybe there for about 30 minutes (which is not many hands live), and he seemed pretty tight. Certainly the bad part was that he moved in UTG - a huge sign of strength. He pushed in his chips somewhat confidently. The action folded to me, and I sat back to deliberate... I looked over him, and he was just staring blankly direcly at me. I'm not sure what to make of the direct stare, but I would think aces or kings would somewhat TRY to look disinterested.

Anyway, I play cash games on-line for a living, and am not so used to the patience that is required live. 7-7 was about the greatest thing I had seen in 75 minutes - perhaps that was made me even consider calling.
----

Results: I folded. The big blind called quickly. Both players tabled AK, and I would have tripled up (the big blind was a giant stack and clearly would have called even if I called). I don't want the results to blind my judgment though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let them, then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]