Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Goal - specific or relative

Another issue appeard while i was thinking about poker income.
Is it better for one to set a goal as a specific nubmer, let's say "I will go for 10.000$ this year", or is it better for one to make a relative goal, as "What kind of ROI is ok..."?
I find my self more comfortable with first version, is this wrong?

Br, Darks
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Goal - specific or relative

Goals are ok as they sometimes provide motivation. My goal, however, is to play +EV poker.

Beyond that, I would like to play well for longer sessions.

Now, if you're not making enough money to live on and build your bankroll, then a goal to win at a higher limit would be good.

The difference is the end result vs. how you get there. I want to focus on how I get there, you seem to want to focus on the end result.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Goals are ok as they sometimes provide motivation. My goal, however, is to play +EV poker.

Beyond that, I would like to play well for longer sessions.

Now, if you're not making enough money to live on and build your bankroll, then a goal to win at a higher limit would be good.

The difference is the end result vs. how you get there. I want to focus on how I get there, you seem to want to focus on the end result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. You should be focusing on playing good poker, i.e + EV; and making good decisions. The results honestly don't matter, as you WILL make money in the long run if you are playing +EV poker. If you focus on results, then this could make you start to doubt your decisions, especially if you are on a bad run.

bottom line, I wouldn't focus on say "I need to make 10K by november". Instead, I would set a goal like "I need to make 10k before I move up to the next limit, and to do so, I need to play +EV poker".

You see the difference? One last point which I just hinted at as well. It is a very good idea to have goals. But it's also equally important to set up a plan or strat of how to accomplish these goals.

i.e. I'm going to make 10k playing poker (no time limit). I'm going to do this by multi-tabling 1/2 NL, and $50 SNG's etc.

If you don't have it already, get poker tracker as well. That program is HUGE in helping you track your stats, plus review HH, to correct any leaks in your game. GL!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Two things

1. Goals are fine. Make them realistic. Have a specific plan. Nothing as nebulous as saying, "I want to move up when I have $X." Write down what steps you're prepared to take to reach your goal. If you're not on track to meet your goal, re-evaluate your original plan.

2. Read this classic thread.