Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 AM

Default I get bored and money loses its value....

When i play online i usually play .25/.50 and sometimes .50/1.0 NL and when i play online i play with patience and disciplined. Im at about 4.5bb/100 with close to 3000 hands (i just recently bought PT).

But i try to just focus on live play. i play the 1/2 and sometimes the 3/5 at the local cardroom. My problem is after a long session where im close to break even or down 1-2 buyins i start to play really stupid and just gamble telling my slef its only XX amount more. I almost always end up losing the rest of my stack on a play where i know i shouldnt be calling or betting but i do anyways.

I think this maybe due to the fact i have a decent job 50k yearly and i know i could always work OT for extra cash. Is this the problem or am I just losing focus after a certain time?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: I get bored and money loses its value....

Move up to a level where "you" respect your raises........
Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM

Quitting before you play badly is a skill you need to develop. You have to recognize that your play deteriorates during a session when you've played too long (how could it not?) and figure out how to get yourself away from the table before you make any really bad mistakes.

This skill will improve your winrate quite a bit I would think and is therefore worth developing.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 AM

thnx for the advice.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 AM

poker is a stupid silly game. smart people should not play it.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quitting before you play badly is a skill you need to develop. You have to recognize that your play deteriorates during a session when you've played too long (how could it not?) and figure out how to get yourself away from the table before you make any really bad mistakes.

This skill will improve your winrate quite a bit I would think and is therefore worth developing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very true. What your describing is a major leak in your game, and has happened to all of us. Figure out for yourself how much time you can sit and play optimally. Once you reach this point, self evaluate how you're feeling. If you're game is starting to fade, then it's time to quit. heck, go play $10 at the video poker machine, or make a 2 dollar bet on a horse. It's a diversion, and much cheaper than donking off another buyin at 1/2 after you're spent.

Also, what I like to do to constantly evaluate my game, is to look for mistakes. I play by the 3 strike rule, just like baseball. If I make 3 mistakes that I wouldn't normally make, then I quit... 3 strikes, you're out.