Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: STT Forum Split

Re: STT Forum Split

I and many others think it would be a good idea for the One Table Tournament forum to be split into Hi and Low sections. Citanul told me to check with you on this, as he thought it wasn't possible for any forums to be split now, something to do with a forum upgrade.

Is it possible for that forum to be split at this time?

I've started two separate poll's in the forum on this and there is an overwhelming majority of people who think it would be a good idea.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2006, 05:15 PM

Mat,

a few notes:

1) yes, i told him to check with you, as you are the arbiter of these things.

2) "an overwhelming majority" is really, really, really pushing it.

in the poll i locked this morning (for repetitiveness) there were 60 votes for the split, and i think 6 people who actually posted that they wanted a split. maybe 7. and a couple of them were "eh, i don't really care but i think it could be a decent idea."

i think that unless we actually get a big pile of people coming out of the woodwork and showing their faces saying that they want this, it would really be pretty dumb. if a whole bunch of lurkers want a new forum, and aren't going to post, you're going to have a ghosttown of a forum.

meanwhile, it just simply is true that:

1) there are many, many more low stakes players and posters than high stakes

2) this is because they have more questions to ask about these relatively simple games, and high stakes players in general either know how to look over their questions on their own or consult each other rapidly via IM.

Degen meanwhile when repeatedly asked to simply post some of these amazing high stakes posts that he thinks would occur and that are incredibly deep STT questions, has repeatedly said "I would, but it would be pointless, this isn't a high stakes forum" basically. He believes high stakes hands just can't be posted at the moment because no high stakes readers read there any more.

It's just plain false. If none of them read it, who are these valuable future posters of the high stakes forum who are voting yes in his poll? Clearly in a matter of hours this morning he was able to get 60 "interested high stakes posters" to vote for a new forum. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that if someone actually posted hands, they would get responded to.

Continuing, many of the high volume high stakes posters have just stopped posting for a variety of reasons, most prominently that they have changed games to other games, and don't really post in the forum at all:

Bonafone, deuce2high, raptor, jman, freemoney, mcshove, and degen, along with a looooong list of others, have simply moved and started focusing their game play on games they beleive can earn them more money in both the short and long runs. They are of course right, those other games are more profitable if you are good at them.

However those people leaving just sort of leave a void of high volume high stakes posters. They don't appear out of nowehere. Or maybe they do, as the faceless mass of poll voters would suggest.

Further, there really is no difference between high stakes sngs and low stakes sngs. While there is a quality of player difference, there is no structural difference, and the strategies are universally applicable across limits. It's not like someone who plays and beats lower stakes games will be unable or unwilling to comment on high stakes hands, no matter what forum they are posted in. Similarly, the best advice that low stakes posters get on their hands is frequently from the high stakes posters, simply because they are the most experienced posters in general.

These games really are usually a matter of experience, not of stake. But whatever. If there is a decision to split the forum, that's fine too. I just hope more thought goes in to it than very little. I'd both volunteer to moderate such a forum and suggest others who would be capable.

citanul
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM

Last Mod Forum discussion

Feb thread in STT- Locked , Feb thread 2 - Locked , Feb thread 3

Today's thread in STT - Locked

Post in Forum Suggestions

Over the last couple of months, the STT Forum has been getting around 800 - 1000 posts/day, significantly above the 2+2 forum wide average.

fwiw... I support a split of STT.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 PM

But when have you ever not supported a split sniper [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But when have you ever not supported a split sniper [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in support of anything that helps to better organize the vast amount of knowledge available on the 2+2 forums, in a manner that makes it more accessible to the users and helps to facilitate useful discussion.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:44 PM

there is now a new poll in the forum.

someone has already suggested a 3 way split, with low, mid, and high.

citanul
Old 05-17-2006, 05:53 PM

Cit, if there was going to be a split... What would your suggestion be on how it should be split?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:53 PM

dno yet. we'll see [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM

Citanul,

I read Degen's thread. At a glance as a mod, STT looks like a huge forum w/ a lot of traffic that could benefit from a split. But most everyone who actually had a strong opinion on the matter was against it. I don't exactly post there, though, so you don't have to listen to me. I think the best answer, though, is for Degen to post some higher stakes hands. Then, when they get crappy discussion like he predicts, he'll have a good case. If people respond well, then the split is unnecessary.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM

While I'm thinking about, one other forum split that merits mentioning is SSNL. That forum is almost as busy as OOT. Maybe we should consider making a MicroNL?