Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

because only the Yankees could inflate the market...if its Giants vs. Angels arod isnt getting 270 million. but if its LA + SF + NYY + plus a couple of pretenders he could get well above it.

The Yankees assumed that if he went into the market Boras would use the other teams to make his price go up to something nutty. I don't they were convinced that this would happen but it was certainly possible and they wouldnt have taken the chance and given Arod what he wanted-see posada/rivera. So Arod probably could have gotten 10 years: 300 plus revenue from HR 800 etc.

Why do i think this? because the yankees were fully prepared to give Arod 275 for 10 years. add a bit more per year given Arod has more leverage pre opt out + 21 or 30 million and you've got a better contract.

The bigger question is why did the Yankees agree to do 275 for 10 when they could have easily done 250-10 etc given the lack of a market for Arod post opt out

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe the Yankees offered A-Rod a 300 million dollar deal in the period of time between the end of the season and his opt out and that Boras subsequently rejected it? You still haven't really explained why there would be a market before and not after, unless you believe that when the Yankees said they will not negotiate with A-Rod, every other team decided to low ball him. And if this is the case, why would they offer him the 300mill deal in the first place? Cashman is pretty bright and likely would have seen this coming. There would be no incentive for the Yankees to offer such a deal if they knew that they could single handedly destroy any market for A-Rod. I just don't think the 300-350mill deal was ever going to happen, pre opt out or post.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol to the post above me

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing to lol at is the fact that Vyse is so [censored] stupid he thinks 275m + 21 m + HR revenue + good image < 275 million + HR revenue + pissing off media/NYY fan base/and just looking like an ass in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a litany of people not only claim you're wrong but also use advanced techniques like logic and coherent thought processes to prove why you are wrong... you're wrong. Sorry.

lol @ image. LMAO. Seriously, it'd be knee-slapping if it weren't simultaneously depressing for the sake of humanity.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

because only the Yankees could inflate the market...if its Giants vs. Angels arod isnt getting 270 million. but if its LA + SF + NYY + plus a couple of pretenders he could get well above it.

The Yankees assumed that if he went into the market Boras would use the other teams to make his price go up to something nutty. I don't they were convinced that this would happen but it was certainly possible and they wouldnt have taken the chance and given Arod what he wanted-see posada/rivera. So Arod probably could have gotten 10 years: 300 plus revenue from HR 800 etc.

Why do i think this? because the yankees were fully prepared to give Arod 275 for 10 years. add a bit more per year given Arod has more leverage pre opt out + 21 or 30 million and you've got a better contract.

The bigger question is why did the Yankees agree to do 275 for 10 when they could have easily done 250-10 etc given the lack of a market for Arod post opt out

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe the Yankees offered A-Rod a 300 million dollar deal in the period of time between the end of the season and his opt out and that Boras subsequently rejected it? You still haven't really explained why there would be a market before and not after, unless you believe that when the Yankees said they will not negotiate with A-Rod, every other team decided to low ball him. And if this is the case, why would they offer him the 300mill deal in the first place? Cashman is pretty bright and likely would have seen this coming. There would be no incentive for the Yankees to offer such a deal if they knew that they could single handedly destroy any market for A-Rod. I just don't think the 300-350mill deal was ever going to happen, pre opt out or post.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG...god this is so basic, no wonder the WGA couldnt figure this out either uhhh

Situation A: Arod opts out. Post opt out there is not much demand for Arod. The market is cold. The Yankees know this because they saw it happen.

Situation B: the Yankees have 10 days before Arod opts out to agree on a contract extension. The Yankees have 21 million from Texas already added free of charge towards contract. The Yankees decide to say that the next 10 days is all or nothing, if Arod opts out he won't be a Yankee because the Yankees wont negotiate. The market for a 3rd baseman is barren and the Yankees need Arod.

Pre-opt out the Yankees did not know the above would happen with the free agent market and Arod. They could have possibly guessed it but they couldn't know with certainty that it would end up that way.

Which of the two above situations does Arod have the most leverage to force the Yankees to keep increasing their offer? Which of the two situations would u prefer to be in if your an agent with Arod as a client and you want to get the biggest contract out of the Yankee's possible?

Note: If you choose A your a [censored] moron.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 AM

lol @ you thinking there's no demand for A-Rod.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:51 AM

Why do you seem to believe that the Yankees offer pre opt-out would have been 10yrs/300mill and that Boras wouldn't have accepted? Do you think he honestly was looking for a 350mill deal? This seems to be where we disagree. I don't think the Yankees ever did or would have put out a superior deal prior to opting out. There were obviously some negotiations between Boras and the Yankees before the opt out and I imagine the deals offered weren't near the one he signed in the end. I think we are forgetting how ridiculous a 10yr deal for 32yr old player is. Before the opt out I remember thinking that 8yrs would have been a bit too much (imo).

Edited to add this list of the 14 largest contracts in MLB history (from vegaswatch.blogspot.com, apparently), just to put this deal into perspective.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

god yr such a troll Vyse.

Yes when I say the demand wasn't there I'm obv saying that no one has any interest in signing the best player on the market and thus the Yankees were the only team in the league who wanted to sign Arod.

I'm obv not saying that the demand/market that Boras and Arod thought would occur (multiple teams offering contract offers comparable to what the Yankees initial lowball offer was and the Yankees jumping in and out bidding them)...didnt.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

god yr such a troll Vyse.

Yes when I say the demand wasn't there I'm obv saying that no one has any interest in signing the best player on the market and thus the Yankees were the only team in the league who wanted to sign Arod.

I'm obv not saying that the demand/market that Boras and Arod thought would occur (multiple teams offering contract offers comparable to what the Yankees initial lowball offer was and the Yankees jumping in and out bidding them)...didnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that other teams didn't offer similar contracts to the Yankees "lowball" offer or that the Yankees didn't jump in and out bid the other teams? Because I believe an article quoted early in the thread says that some team (possibly the Yankees, doesn't really matter) offered A-Rod an 8yr/225 mill and that the Yankees then offered him this proposed 10yr/275mill deal. We are going in circles, I fear.

You seem to believe that a 10yr/300mill offer to a 32yr old 3B is realistic, while I (and probably a few others around here) don't. Look at the next few largest contracts signed. None of them are even kind of close to this one and I believe that this is the longest contract ever. This was an absolute win for Boras/A-Rod.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except this is exactly what happened.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except this is exactly what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys really think Boras would ever be behind/support A-Rod going through 3rd parties to deal with the Yankees and get a new contract? That he would ever want that to become public?

Are you people even following this story since it broke? This wasn't some mastermind plan by Boras.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Why wouldn't he? Boras gets a cut. Wow, seriously.

Zutroy, Charlie isn't even bothering to directly respond to your point because he knows how asinine it is.