Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Putting your opponent on a range of hands

A couple other thoughts on hand ranging -

Rarely should you lock in on just one hand - if you are that good, you should be on TV. Its a range, not a hand.

Also - always be willing to open up your range to include different hands on later streets - I can't count how many value bets I've had paid off because my opponent refused to consider my actual hand, even if was obvious that I had outdrawn them (or just always been ahead).

Finally - if someone really is a crazy maniac, they can truly have anything, so don't ever be surprised when they wake up with a monster 62o.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Putting your opponent on a range of hands

[ QUOTE ]
Finally - if someone really is a crazy maniac, they can truly have anything, so don't ever be surprised when they wake up with a monster 62o.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of a recent tourney I was in. It wasn't a beginner tourney, it was a 600 entrant $50+5 buyin with some pretty decent top 3 money. Early on I had 55 in the BB. UTG limped and there were a few callers and I checked into a 5 way 150 chip pot. Flop was 4 5 7r and UTG bet out 120, all folded to me who raised to 360.

Pretty standard stuff. I had no solid reads on UTG but the basic read of a nice overpair or two big cards. I figured I might stack QQ-AA and AK might fold or perhaps call if he was loose. He called and the turn was a 2. UTG checked and I bet again figuring AA might have slowplayed and would now put me in and AK would finally go away. He called again and a J hit the river. He checked again and now I was really confused. Surely JJ would have bet his miracle set. I started to consider 77 now as a slowplay possibility. I couldn't find a hand he could call again with an figured he was playing AK to try to hit one of his overcards or he was still slowplaying.

I checked and he flipped over 63off. Maybe he was afraid I had 86. I don't know how guys like this can hold onto a bankroll.