Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Showdown Scenario where bluffer does not want to show

scenario: assuming heads up.. there is a bet/raise on river.

i udnerstand that the last bet/raise has to show first, but what happens if the person says he has nothing, i was bluffing. does the winner have to show his hand?

i know that if bettor/raiser mucks.. the winner does not have to show unless somoene asks, but what if the person jst says "nothign, u win".

is it ethical to show the winning hand, or obligatory?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Showdown Scenario where bluffer does not want to show

I will generally show if bettor indicates he can't win, but the last aggressor must show if you want to press the issue in most rooms.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 AM

It's a courtesy to just show, so that everyone can just move on to the next hand. Frequent "you show first" staredowns really annoy me - even though you're not technically at fault here, you still have the power to make it end.

The only time I might stall a little is if I called someone really light, and I would rather he still thought he could bluff me later on - imo the better your hand, the more obligatory it is to just show here.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i know that if bettor/raiser mucks.. the winner does not have to show unless somoene asks, but what if the person jst says "nothign, u win".

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him that he's welcome to open-muck his hand?

I mean, I understand why it would be considered courteous just to table a hand that is likely a winner and avoid annoying people, but you're either giving up your right to see his bluff (if he's telling the truth) or giving up your right to muck a second-best hand (if he's lying). Maybe I'm just paranoid/a nit.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell him that he's welcome to open-muck his hand?

I mean, I understand why it would be considered courteous just to table a hand that is likely a winner and avoid annoying people, but you're either giving up your right to see his bluff (if he's telling the truth) or giving up your right to muck a second-best hand (if he's lying). Maybe I'm just paranoid/a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy says good call, you win, just show your freaking hand. Guess what, when he says something like that, he has nothing. You don't really have to put him on a hand as it's NOTHING. He has a busted draw, or whiffed big cards, or something stupid...you don't need to see it because he has NOTHING. Is it really going to make a difference for you later if he has King hi or Ace hi?

However, this goes out the window if the guy is a known angle-shooter and he's been known to do this with the nuts or something, just to get to see your hand before he shows you the winner. If this is the case, make him table his hand, but generally it's not, it's the case above. Just take the pot and be content knowing that he had ace hi or something, jesus. If your pair of twos is good, you can narrow down his range pretty well don't you think?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 AM

i would hold onto my hand until forced to show it
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM

I will just table my hand the first time if the pot isn't large. If it's a valuable hand or the guy pulls this crap alot on the river, I have no problem letting the guy know he still has a decision to make.

"Muck or show please."

When you verbalize it the people who do it habitually will often quit doing it when your in a pot with them because they don't like there behavior being pointed out at the table.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Muck or show please."

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if just once I'd see a dealer say this, instead of sitting there getting frustrated and not taking control of the game.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would hold onto my hand until forced to show it

[/ QUOTE ]

Great you just held up the game and made the donkey feel bad....wise tactics.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM

if the guy says "nice call" or "I missed" just show your damn hand, and take the pot. why the hell do you feel the need to embarrass him. You're not going to learn anything by seeing his hand that you don't already know. If he's running an angle just go ahead and let him pull it off once.