Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Real Estate Q: reasonable discount for all-cash (vs. mortgage) offer??

I'm in a fortunate position of being able to make an all-cash offer for a condo (rather than having to take out a mortgage). My broker has given me some good (albeit obvious) reasons why sellers would much prefer an all-cash offer than one where the buyer needs to finance it with a mortgage.

So my Q is this (and I'd love to hear from some ppl who have experience in making real-estate offers, or perhaps from sellers who have had to make this decision themselves):

Is it reasonable to expect that you'll be able to get a discount if your purchase offer is all-cash versus mortgage-backed? And if so, just what type of discount is reasonable??

e.g. Obviously, a seller would prefer a $500,000 all-cash offer than a $500,000 offer, of which 80% is financed by a mortgage...but how much lower an all-cash offer might a prospective buyer reasonably get away with? $10,000 less? $20,000? $50,000? Obv the answer is very seller-dependent, but perhaps someone here has a reasonably-informed reply...