Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Review of the heads up play

Hey Garland...ok long post coming:

Joe comments many times that I peel the flop light, but I don't think that is much of a negative. First off, he is CRing me with a pretty wide range, often having second and third pair, so against that range my two "overcards" to second pair are often in reasonable shape. Second, it gives me the opportunity to take advantage of scary turn and river cards from time to time and steal some pots. Third, being viewed as a "light peeler" forces a reasonable opponent to CR me with a more narrow range on the flop (big win for me!) and may lead to them playing a bit weak tight against me, for fear that innocuous turn/river cards help me and just the whole "its tough to put him on a hand" feeling.

Flop cap with 75 was a little bit optimistic, but it was very early in the match and I often do things early in a match as "feelers" to see how my opponent reacts and with what cards. I felt there was a decent chance I had 10 outs here and maybe some fold equity on certain cards.

I think I played the KT clubs hand really really well. Joe wasn't 3 betting a wide range from the BB, so that flop was pretty terrifying, as he pretty much has a showdownable hand or a monster unless he has exactly KQ, which still probably gets to the river. I also thought by just calling the flop I would get excess action from Ax if I hit my draw because he would put me on a worse ace if I raise turn, and I get around the same from his pocket pairs because he probably just goes into call down mode regardless of when I raise.

K7 trifecta hand I'll come to last because there was another post by you and Joe about it with more info/thoughts...

I don't think AJo is a standard 4 bet hand preflop at all, against the range Joe was 3 betting me with. Also its good to have a decent ace in your range there so that you get some action on the ace high flops.

The QQ hand - ok this was the worst hand I played IMO. I actually don't mind my river CR, it looks super fishy and he calls me with any pair, though he definitely has trips a lot. For some reason at the time I felt he wouldn't 3 bet me with trips on the river (SpicyF theorem at work I guess) and then when he did I spite paid it off. My call there is terrible.

K7 trifecta hand I think I played this hand very reasonably, I wasn't just going for a trifecta. I gave his flop 3 bet a lot of respect at this point in the match so I was probably just going to call down until I improved on the turn. The CR on flop and turn both seem obvious to me. Then the river card came down and at this point that was a complete brick in my mind, unless he had KQ in which case I was about to get owned, but whatever. Remember I'm putting Joe on pretty much a good King at this point. If I bet, he certainly just calls, after just calling my turn raise. If I check, there is no way he checks behind, my hand looks like a semibluff or marginal hand that was out of line on the turn. I think the fact that he value bet a 6 here is good evidence that he would value bet a king quickly, and I don't think he would have been able to get off the king even when I CR river. Maybe he would but I still get the 1 BB. I don't see much downside to my line here.

-DeathDonkey