Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Showdown Scenario where bluffer does not want to show

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A room I regularly play in recently started requiring the winning hand at showdown to be revealed. This rule really ends a lot of this mess. If the bluffer doesn't want to show, he can muck (or not muck) -- if the caller wants to win the pot, he has to show his hand at some point so he might as well show it right away and let the game move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the pot when the bluffer mucks, and the caller doesn't want to show his hand (or mucks it deep after the bluffer did)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It hasn't happened yet... at least when I have been in the game... also it is very difficult to "muck deep" if the dealer is protecting the muck. I have seen the dealer turn over the hand when asked (while awarding the pot).
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM

If he's terrible I'll just show. If he's a certain kind of bluffer and I want him to continue bluffing I'll just show.
But if he's unpredictable, and I want to see his hand, I'll make him follow the rules. I'm all about being cordial at the poker table, but anything that costs me $$$ is out.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, be careful as there are rooms that hold the "last aggression" rule, even when the last aggression wasn't on the final street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this rule. I wish it were standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever run into a villain who misreads his hand and you ask to see it as the apparent winner of the hand.. villains hand remains live. Any room that enforces "cardspeak" will award the pot to the winning hand in a showdown. Therefore if villain is about to muck what he thinks is 3rd pair to the board.. which is also, coincidentally, really the winning hand due to him backdooring a straight... and the apparent winner of the hand asks to see it.... he will lose the pot. It's different when a player not in the hand asks as the cards hit the muck first thus making them dead, however in the event that you have the apparent winning hand you may not really want to see villain's hand in all of these cases.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if he's unpredictable, and I want to see his hand, I'll make him follow the rules. I'm all about being cordial at the poker table, but anything that costs me $$$ is out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think under the rules that either player must show. A guy can muck anytime and give up the pot. And when that happens, the other guy can muck and rake in the pot. It becomes a pot that is won without a showdown even though nobody folded to a bet. Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, there is the IWTSYH rule where the aggressor shows his hand and the caller mucks. Here you can ask to see the callers hand. This is that rule about prevented collusion and one that I don't like very much but it is still there in most cardrooms I believe.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think under the rules that either player must show. A guy can muck anytime and give up the pot. And when that happens, the other guy can muck and rake in the pot. It becomes a pot that is won without a showdown even though nobody folded to a bet. Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, there is the IWTSYH rule where the aggressor shows his hand and the caller mucks. Here you can ask to see the callers hand. This is that rule about prevented collusion and one that I don't like very much but it is still there in most cardrooms I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is the aggressor (or first to act if it's checked around in some places) has to act first in the showdown.

Which means he has to either show, or he can muck, either way he has to do something first before the other guy is obligated to do anything.

So whoever is supposed to show or muck first, dont be a knob, just act in turn.

I know this has been said before though but a lot of the time delay can be avoided if the dealer does a better job of directing the showdown just as he directs the betting rounds. (by pointing at one player at a time and telling them to show)

What happens sometimes is the dealer doesnt do anything (or just says "show me a winner" and then you have multiple people who dont want to show because they are waiting for someone to turn up a better hand so they can muck.

That's abnormal and shouldnt be allowed to happen becasue you could have players who dont know the rules and it's the dealers job to direct that.