Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

Thing is, a lot of his theories are tongue in cheek, so you never know which theory is something he really believes in. Two of his other pet theories relates to clothing. If a coach is dressed too warmly, his team will lose. This also applies to cheerleaders who are dressed too warmly.

Obviously (I think), he doesn't actually believe those theories, so I'm not sure if he actually believes the always punt theory.

Here's his original article on the punting theory:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...p;sportCat=nfl

Another thing I hate about him--he hates the Cardinals. Almost never says anything about them. When he does, it's always disparaging. So when they do something I think he would like (going for the TD with no time left in the 1st half in a "goal to go" situation instead of the FG. They've done this twice this season, succeeded both times, and he said nothing).
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM

I think it's fair to assume he wouldn't advocate running on 4th and 3 on the opp's 20 in a tie game with 15 seconds left in the game. That being said, I think the biggest flaw is ignoring the specifics of the situation. i.e., I would expect it's much easier to predict offenses on 4th and 3 than on 1st and 10.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's fair to assume he wouldn't advocate running on 4th and 3 on the opp's 20 in a tie game with 15 seconds left in the game. That being said, I think the biggest flaw is ignoring the specifics of the situation. i.e., I would expect it's much easier to predict offenses on 4th and 3 than on 1st and 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you look at the link, he did make an exception for a FG that gives your team the lead when you're within the opponents 25. That needs to be expanded, though. A FG should probably also be attempted if your lead is between 4 and 8 points, at a minimum.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM

I like how he spends an entire paragraph talking about we ran the score up on the Dolphins without mentioning:

1) we scored 7 2nd half points
2) we spent much of the 2nd half in Nickel/prevent defense with 2nd stringers.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how he spends an entire paragraph talking about we ran the score up on the Dolphins without mentioning:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but they had Cassel throw. Cassel should only be getting reps in practice, and that's it.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the Pats tried to call off the dogs and put their backup in. If I recall correctly, the dolphins picked him off and ran it back a long ways. If you try to shake hands with your opponent and they knock your hand away, it's ok not to reach out again.

Cody
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the Pats tried to call off the dogs and put their backup in. If I recall correctly, the dolphins picked him off and ran it back a long ways. If you try to shake hands with your opponent and they knock your hand away, it's ok not to reach out again.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what exactly is Miami supposed to do? I mean, I'm firmly in the "running up the score argument is ridiculous" camp, but Miami can't not play defense just because a backup is in there.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what exactly is Miami supposed to do? I mean, I'm firmly in the "running up the score argument is ridiculous" camp, but Miami can't not play defense just because a backup is in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't expect them to drop the ball, but once they did get the pick and tried to score, I think at that point it's ok to put Brady back in.

Cody
Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Glad that Indy doesn't run up the score, they just throw TDs with 4:00 to go in a 22-7 game. Oh, also the opp has Quinn Gray at QB. Indy doesn't lose that game if Gray gets 10 drives from their own 20, holding a 22-7 lead. So they go deep, OBV to Dallas Clark, who OBV my fantasy opp has, which OBV gives him the win. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage time?

3 kneel downs by the 3rd string QB at the end this week. Ok?