Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
edge,

his jabs are just that.. jabs. They're pretty playful. As your post shows, you don't really operate at that capacity. He was just playing dude. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'm plenty willing to play on that level with people who are willing to actually do that. He said pretty straight up he did it hoping to antagonize me, and that's just dumb.

I can't even have a regular football discussion on this board without a guy like him saying I'm an idiot, but then turning around and saying another guy is right when he says the exact same thing.

I'm going to go about my business, because I love talking sports with people who know what they're talking about and can do it without having to take jabs or personal shots. I don't think that's too much to ask.

[/soapbox]

So....yeah. Go back to my first post in this thread to see what I think about the Pats "running up the score". I can't talk DVOA, but maybe I'll do some reading on it this weekend or something...
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 AM

how can we have had such an argument about the pats running the score up. are you [censored] kidding me?

kneeling is not an option, giving the cowboys the ball with 20? seconds left down 14 and handing them a .001% chance to win or whatever. if they're up 17, sure, do whatever the [censored] you want. also, if you were to kick a FG, they get the ball on a KR, if they lose the ball on downs, they get the ball inside the 5. any football player and/or coach needs to unwad their panties if that play was a problem or in any way disrespectful.

just another "overblown by the media" normal ass situation
Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how can we have had such an argument about the pats running the score up. are you [censored] kidding me?

kneeling is not an option, giving the cowboys the ball with 20? seconds left down 14 and handing them a .001% chance to win or whatever. if they're up 17, sure, do whatever the [censored] you want. also, if you were to kick a FG, they get the ball on a KR, if they lose the ball on downs, they get the ball inside the 5. any football player and/or coach needs to unwad their panties if that play was a problem or in any way disrespectful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my [censored] god if one more person uses the Cowboys game as the only evidence that the Pats have not been running up the score in games I am going to break something. Have you guys watched any Patriots games this year? You think this whole discussion came up from one freaking game? Any one who argues that the Pats haven't been playing more aggressive than any other team when they have the game locked up is an idiot.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
edge,

his jabs are just that.. jabs. They're pretty playful. As your post shows, you don't really operate at that capacity. He was just playing dude. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'm plenty willing to play on that level with people who are willing to actually do that. He said pretty straight up he did it hoping to antagonize me, and that's just dumb.

I can't even have a regular football discussion on this board without a guy like him saying I'm an idiot, but then turning around and saying another guy is right when he says the exact same thing.

I'm going to go about my business, because I love talking sports with people who know what they're talking about and can do it without having to take jabs or personal shots. I don't think that's too much to ask.

[/soapbox]

So....yeah. Go back to my first post in this thread to see what I think about the Pats "running up the score". I can't talk DVOA, but maybe I'll do some reading on it this weekend or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things:

1) It's Cody, c'mon Edge help a brotha out.

2) I think the point that got lost in this is that we should all be a little more like me and we'd all get along better. So let's all start reviewing my posts and trying to adjust [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cody
Old 10-19-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think it's pretty funny that the only guy I have seen writing about this is Bill Simmons.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think it's pretty funny that the only guy I have seen writing about this is Bill Simmons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe its cause he's the only one watching the games.

Against SD, the game after the scandal broke: with 3 minutes left and a 31-14 lead they go for it on 4th and goal with 3 yds to go.

Buff: With a 38-7 lead and 4 minutes left, they go for it on 4th and 6 on the Buffalo 8.

I'm too lazy to look up the other games but are you guys starting to see a pattern?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my [censored] god if one more person uses the Cowboys game as the only evidence that the Pats have not been running up the score in games I am going to break something. Have you guys watched any Patriots games this year? You think this whole discussion came up from one freaking game? Any one who argues that the Pats haven't been playing more aggressive than any other team when they have the game locked up is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who dislikes the Pats running up the score might want to re-watch last year's AFC championship game. Given that expierence, I don't blame them for not taking their foot off the gas.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who dislikes the Pats running up the score might want to re-watch last year's AFC championship game. Given that expierence, I don't blame them for not taking their foot off the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]
the thing is i don't care one way or the other. i started this thread to see if people thought it was smart given the chance of injury. but then the idiots who have only seen one Pat game all season (cowboys) hijacked the thread saying they haven't been running up the score at all, just because the Pats attempt to run up the score in the Dallas game could be strategically justified
Old 10-19-2007, 04:18 AM

i agree with others that 'running up the score' is a dumb concept in pro sports. fans pay a lot of money to watch the NFL, how happy do you think pats fans would be if brady started sitting out midway through the 3rd quarter?

i always picked on manning for throwing so many touchdowns from the 2 when he was going after the record. not because it's running up the score, but because it emphasizes personal achievement over team success. the same way that the defense in indy sucked for so long, because payton had to have every offensive weapon they could muster. eventually they realized that formula wasn't going to work, and they tried to balance things a bit. they won a super bowl and good for them.

i can't say whether pats fans are any different than yankees fans were in terms of being irritating. the difference to me - and this may be bias speaking - is that, due to the organizational approach of the patriots, their fans have more appreciation for the way the game is played, strategies involved, etc. i can't tell you how many yankees fans i STILL talk to who tell me without blinking that joba is a hall-of-famer but phil hughes is 'okay.' there are irritating yambags in every city. maybe it's just the circle of people that i watch football with, who knows.

new york sports has ALWAYS been more about media and glitz and hype than anywhere else. boston sports have more hype than most places, too, but to me each city has a different character. boston is a major market that has learned from some of the small-market teams and other forward thinking ideas in different pro sports - baseball, football, etc. the pats wrote the book on organizational philosophy, whether their fans are annoying now or not. the red sox remain one of the teams on the cutting edge of SABR and other progressive ideas about baseball - they aren't as driven by it as oakland or cleveland are forced to be due to their markets, but they are a hell of a lot more savvy than comparable big-market teams like the yankees, cubs, dodgers or mets (although the yankees are finally starting to catch up with some of their young talent).

what pissed me off about yankees fans circa 03-04 was their sense of entitlement, as if the yankees were born great and always would be. the pats have recently done the same things the yankees did to become great in the late 90's - bring up young talent and mix it with solid, sometimes overlooked veterans. pats fans know that our success is built on drafting well, scouting well, and organizing well. they understand we're lucky to have a good system, they don't think it just grows on trees or can be bought on the free agency market. the yankees got away from that as an organization and so did their fans.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i always picked on manning for throwing so many touchdowns from the 2 when he was going after the record. not because it's running up the score, but because it emphasizes personal achievement over team success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? He threw those balls because he wanted to score and win the game. He wasn't throwing fades up by 14 with :54 seconds on the clock or anything. If the defense is crowding the line, throw the ball, that's not exactly "emphasizing personal achievement".

[ QUOTE ]
the same way that the defense in indy sucked for so long, because payton had to have every offensive weapon they could muster. eventually they realized that formula wasn't going to work, and they tried to balance things a bit. they won a super bowl and good for

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure but once they freed up cap space by letting Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and their Offensive line go, they were able to sign some good defensive players.

Cody