Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Chicks and gambling for a living.

[ QUOTE ]
Chick sounds like kind of a bitch.

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, except my name isnt craig.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:10 AM

Ok look this pisses me off to have to type this twice because the person im responding to deleted their post. What im saying is this, siccjay, the construction check is guarenteed by a certain date, while i know how poker works, and assuming you are as good as you say you are, while some months you may have downswings, and some upswings, although it all evens out, the construction check is GUARENTEED to be a certain amount at a certain time of the month. You can plan in advance if you had to spend it. Poker is different. Although longterm yes, you will make the same, it is with different timing. You feel me?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chick sounds like kind of a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok look this pisses me off to have to type this twice because the person im responding to deleted their post. What im saying is this, siccjay, the construction check is guarenteed by a certain date, while i know how poker works, and assuming you are as good as you say you are, while some months you may have downswings, and some upswings, although it all evens out, the construction check is GUARENTEED to be a certain amount at a certain time of the month. You can plan in advance if you had to spend it. Poker is different. Although longterm yes, you will make the same, it is with different timing. You feel me?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. he wins 50k in a year, but how much does he lose?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 AM

He doesn't win 50k in a year, he probably wins more than that. He wins Winnings (X > 50,000) - Losses (Y) which = $50,000
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel you Dipset, Big L, Lesane.

The money is guaranteed though. Well pretty much, but I don't need to explain that here. I never said I was any good, just good enough to get by.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. he wins 50k in a year, but how much does he lose?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't win 50k in a year, he probably wins more than that. He wins Winnings (X > 50,000) - Losses (Y) which = $50,000

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 AM

As someone who never wanted to play for a living and has paid the bills for about 6 months with poker, I have to agree with her. She didn't articulate herself particularly well, but I completely understand her desire for job security, regular hours, and regular socialization in a boyfriend. wrt poker as a job, "job security" is easily up for debate: legislation and game degradation are only two of the factors affecting job security that are really hard to measure. But I think hours and socialization are largely up to the player himself, and I don't think there'd be much argument about that. So its really not surprising that she'd have doubts about a pro player's ability - or willingness - to socialize normally or keep his hours to a "normal" level. As she notes, online poker is fundamentally different than traditional jobs. For lots of people around here, that's the appeal. But I don't see how you can fault her for noting those differences and then stating that they make her uncomfortable, even though she doesn't really communicate herself well. Maybe I'm overestimating her, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Have any of you ever had to deal with this? If so, how did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the past few months, I've run into people I know well enough to talk to but don't really talk to much. They always ask me what I'm doing (or, if they knew what I did, if I still like my job). By far my most common response is that I'm actively looking for a job but haven't found anything to my liking yet. That's mostly true, but my job search is nowhere near as focused as it would be if I needed a job to pay bills. Its closer to negligence than it is a job "hunt."
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel you Dipset, Big L, Lesane.

The money is guaranteed though. Well pretty much, but I don't need to explain that here. I never said I was any good, just good enough to get by.

[/ QUOTE ]

What??