Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Earth is unique and just right for humans indicates a divine plan

Right. Doubting the laws of physics is sensible, but believing that a discrete physical event has an infinitesimal likelihood is the height of reason. Yawn.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Damn! I wasted my 5000th post on you.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, what? Because there is no reliable estimate of a chance that means the chance has to be zero? That don't make no sense. If it is non-zero, which it probably is, then it does matter how big a number you multiply it by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to read and relate. Then return.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did read, and it sounded like you are saying there is zero chance for spontaneous creation of life since no one has been able to come up with a realistic estimate of the actual chances. Is that not what you said?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 AM

I found this part of the article very interesting and ironic at the same time:

"One of the first of these “exoplanets” discovered, in 1996, was at 55 Cancri. Dr. Fischer and her colleagues have been observing that star for 18 years, adding more planets to the list of its retinue as they have made their presence known.The outermost and heaviest planet in the system, which is four times as massive as Jupiter, circles at a distance of 500 million miles, slightly farther than Jupiter in our own system, and takes 14 years to complete an orbit. Because the astronomers have to see a complete cycle before they know a planet is there, its presence was confirmed only in 2002. "

It takes a human being 18 years to find all the planets and one planet takes 14 years to make 1 orbit, yet people think God should reveal his plan in an instant. Quite a little contradiction in human patience and understanding between the way we understand the heavens and the way we understand God. I'm sure no one will follow my reasoning. I can't follow it so why should anyone else. I am just drawing another parallel.

But don't scientists acknowledge that the earth is very unique in so many attributes that manage to sustain life that the odds that we could sustain life if it wasn't a plan are astronomical. I mean water, the right distance from the sun, the right distance from the moon, the right gravity. Don't all of these seem like a miracle or an act of providence that allowed humans and all other life forms to exist?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM

They are compelling evidence that the earth was here first and then humans evolved (or were created) to be just right for the world in which they lived.

No, I don't think scientists would accept that the odds of the earth being able to sustain life are astronomical. Indeed we might point to the possibility of a select few earth life-forms being able to survive underground on Mars or under the ice on Europa as evidence that environments suitable to SOME form of life not being exceptionally rare at all.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are compelling evidence that the earth was here first and then humans evolved (or were created) to be just right for the world in which they lived.

No, I don't think scientists would accept that the odds of the earth being able to sustain life are astronomical. Indeed we might point to the possibility of a select few earth life-forms being able to survive underground on Mars or under the ice on Europa as evidence that environments suitable to SOME form of life not being exceptionally rare at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the vastness of the Universe as indication that the odds of it arising elsewhere are likely. As logic dictates.

Perhaps the mathematics say it's more likely to be 0 than 1.

There's a difference between life and intelligence though. I think personally, it's too soon in this day and age to come to a definitive conclusion about those questions. That doesn't mean it's not grounds for fruitful speculation, however, but it'll take a lot of searching to get an answer and we've barely begun.

Four or five planets we're decades or centuries from visiting physically and checking for ourselves do not a solution make. At minimum, all it establishes is that theory is becoming practical fact and that our Solar System is not unique.

It's easy to leap to the assumption that life is a correlation of that logical comparsion. It shouldn't be made though.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Has Midge ever made a post that did not contain a smiley and an exclamation point! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn! I wasted my 5000th post on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention roughly 4500 previous.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But don't scientists acknowledge that the earth is very unique in so many attributes that manage to sustain life that the odds that we could sustain life if it wasn't a plan are astronomical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who had a good hearty laugh after reading this one.

Your post is so uninformed it is scary. People who know nothing about astronomy should either make an effort to learn it, or simply stfu. All you are doing at the moment is spreading ignorance. Familiar territory for a Christian though I guess.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But don't scientists acknowledge that the earth is very unique in so many attributes that manage to sustain life that the odds that we could sustain life if it wasn't a plan are astronomical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who had a good hearty laugh after reading this one.

Your post is so uninformed it is scary. People who know nothing about astronomy should either make an effort to learn it, or simply stfu. All you are doing at the moment is spreading ignorance. Familiar territory for a Christian though I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be sure you read my Is This True? Why or Why Not? post. Maybe you need to think about your interpersonal relationship skills.

I didn't spread any ignorance. I asked a question.

Your post is what displayed ignorance. You displayed absolutely no knowledge in your response whatsoever.