Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

post a link to those headphones please.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM

FWIW, I've heard that calibration does not necessarily help with treadmill results, as treadmills may not be 100% accurate. I think this has to do with the discrepancy between the belt moving and the amount of time your feet rest before rebounding, but I'm not sure. My unit has been very accurate on runs outdoors, but not nearly as accurate on the treadmill.

You may want to google it for more information.

Rob
Old 01-07-2007, 06:42 PM

People who can confirm "educational status" can get a crazy cheap price right here...
Philips Nike Flight Sport Bud Behind Head Headsphones $12.45

EDIT: Nevermind, those headphones say NO educational status is needed. Sweet. Half what I paid. Not sure why it says $14.99 retail. It is the same exact headphones as the other sites for much more. Well worth $12.45+shipping.

Amazon Reviews

BTW, these are probably only good if you are going to mount your iPod on you upper arm. Everywehere else, the cord may be wrapping around you. I think it is long enough for wrist straps, but I haven't tried yet. Maybe a pocket would work, too. Hmmm. It's almost a 4' cord, so figure out where that will reach. It's great because the cord isn't in front of you getting tangled in your arms.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Wow, students need to buy from that site. They have some great prices. Not a full selection though.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm coming for ya Entity [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just ran my first 5k 20 days after a horrific ankle sprain (swelling still has not fully resided). I calibrated just a small amount, hopefully that was enough. I might re-calibrate if need be.

Sneaking up on ya in the challenge! (MFFNike)
Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Treadmill Trip Report

Just got back from the gym and the treadmill. My usual 24 Hour Fitnesses let the treadmills go to 99 minutes + 2 minute cooldown and that's what I usually do. I'm a hiker/backpacker as an occassional hobby, so my workout is more about walking inclines with runs mixed in. It's actually got so much variety that it's a great test of the Nike+.

My workout:
3.5-4.0 MPH, 3 minute segments at different inclines as follows:
7.5 incline -> 10.0 -> 12.5 -> 15.0 -> 12.5 -> 10.0 -> 7.5
Then I go to a run at 6.0-7.0 MPH with no incline, usually for 3 minutes or a little longer if I feel like it. Then I start the whole process over. This cycle will go almost 4 times in the 99 minutes.

My Results:
The time isn’t 100% accurate because I lost some time in the middle of my workout when I found out you can’t change music without it pausing (more on that later) and then added some time after the workout I forgot to stop the iPod until I walked over to the water fountain.

My workout registered as 6.91 miles in 1:41:31. The treadmill read 7.07 miles in 1:41:00. That only 2.26% off. Very acceptable variance. Huge thumbs up from me.

Power Song
This feature is actually much cooler than I thought. My song today was Linkin Park/Jay Z’s Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer mashup. The song is almost 5 minutes long. I recommend longer songs to keep you pumped up longer. To play the song, you hold down the center button for second or two and it starts up (you set it to whatever you want before a run). How well did it work to pump me up? Well, I suck at running and I usually just do the 3 minutes of running in this workout and not much more. Today I did the entire 5 minutes of the song with no problems. It helped that I went to that song from listening to the much more mellow Johnny Cash the rest of the time, but it should still get you going if you pick the right songs.

Changing Music
Alright, this is the part that sucks. After awhile I wanted to stop listening to Johnny Cash, so I went to the menu and went to “Change Music”. It paused my workout. That sucked. Then I tried to change my music. Well, I had no luck because you can’t go to the main menu without stopping the workout and on the workout menu your only choice for music changes are playlists. The problem is I have zero playlists because I have 30 GB of music and a 4 GB player, so I’m constantly swapping music. I guess I’ll have to start making some quick playlists so I have options on my runs. Annoying, but if you prepare yourself for runs, not a huge problem.

Final Thoughts
Highly recommended. About as accurate as you can expect from a non-GPS enabled pedometer. It’s going to get me motivated to do more outdoor runs. Living in SoCal, it’s too nice outside not to take advantage. As a hiker, I’m going to love finally knowing approximately how long my hikes are. I really am going to love this thing. The big problem still is the [censored] website. I was going to put the image of the run in this post, but the site is letting me do everything but look at my individuals runs. They need to get the bugs out of the site big time.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 PM

Finally got it...

It's missing the first two of my Power Songs. I did it at each run. Also, the last two minutes were on cooldown mode which was 3.5 following my last 7.0 run, but it's not showing up like that at the tail end. Also, the increase and decreases in speed were almost immediate (as fast as the treadmill changes) so really, the line isn't very precise. It looks like they went with a stylish smoothed curve over a precise point-to-point curve.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Cool, nice review, loooking forward to getting my stuff.

How does it know calories, does it ask for your weight?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, nice review, loooking forward to getting my stuff.

How does it know calories, does it ask for your weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

You enter weight under one of the settings. If you are losing weight, you need to be sure to go in every once in awhile and update it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM

I like your treadmill workout. I may start doing that myself.

I just added another 1.9 mile run today with a small cooldown. Starting to like running more than I used to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob