Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

So...do we (the audience) get to vote in the finalist or what? Maybe just one as a wildcard to spice things up.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the number of cameras ESPN has active on the final table is nineteen, each of which is recording for fourteen hours a day. That math doesn't include interview segments and floor coverage. This is me telling you they can not edit 266 hours of footage before extras in 24-48 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that. They know when a big hand/knockout takes place. Say...table 22 at 6:43 PM. How difficult is it to go to 6:43 on the table 22 cameras and find that hand? It is not like they have to sit and watch the tapes over and over. CardPlayer and other poker magazines/websites cover the action and document the important hands. Seems like it would be easy to edit them fast when you know the exact time and table they took place.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the number of cameras ESPN has active on the final table is nineteen, each of which is recording for fourteen hours a day. That math doesn't include interview segments and floor coverage. This is me telling you they can not edit 266 hours of footage before extras in 24-48 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that. They know when a big hand/knockout takes place. Say...table 22 at 6:43 PM. How difficult is it to go to 6:43 on the table 22 cameras and find that hand? It is not like they have to sit and watch the tapes over and over. CardPlayer and other poker magazines/websites cover the action and document the important hands. Seems like it would be easy to edit them fast when you know the exact time and table they took place.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many cameras does ESPN have at college football stadiums all over America and they still seem to be able to do a highlight show every Saturday? Rapidly producing a highlight show wouldn't be a problem-- and they could sell the shows later a "a more detailed analysis..."
Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but they can somehow manage to show nfl games live?

the nuts is stupid anyways. no one needs to see e-dog shoot free throws while some walking penis with a moustache asks him pointless questions that he ignores.

[/ QUOTE ]

the nuts is often the only part that makes regular people watch. Ask anyone how they know a pro and mostly it is from those segments. Without known stars events are less interesting to people.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an even awesomer idea, instead of being busted when you lose your chips as soon as you lose your chips there's a phone vote and you get to swap chipstacks with whoever the American public think has played the worst. That way there wouldn't be any bad beats...... OMG this HAS to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they get to the final table, all the chips are turned back in and the chips are then alloted based on the percentage of bodyweight lost during the previous week. ESPN can show all the preliminary events each Tuesday, have a live weigh-in each week and then after the prelims, have the final table. This approach would ensure an audience at least one and a half times the size of Kid Nation.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me they can't edit each day in 24 hours, broadcast them and then show the final table 24-48 hours after its over, when people are still talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but they can somehow manage to show nfl games live?

the nuts is stupid anyways. no one needs to see e-dog shoot free throws while some walking penis with a moustache asks him pointless questions that he ignores.

[/ QUOTE ]

the nuts is often the only part that makes regular people watch. Ask anyone how they know a pro and mostly it is from those segments. Without known stars events are less interesting to people.

[/ QUOTE ]

well what would you prefer, 2 months of getting to know the players via reality tv type [censored] or "the nuts"?

hmmm what would draw more people to the game?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Update on the possible plan

Updated on the brainstorming for this idea. I don't think they're making it any more palatable.

[ QUOTE ]
And I understand why the idea of a live final-table broadcast is controversial. Televising poker live adds a significant amount of complexity to the proceedings. Ty mentioned to me that he's not in favor of separating fans from the action - the live webcasts of some final tables from the 2007 WSOP was a new experience and one from which Harrah's learned many things - and therefore would sequester the entire room. Players, fans, and attending media would all be squestered and communication devices would be removed. (I'm not sure why media would want to be present if they couldn't communicate, especially because they'd be seeing LESS than if they watched it on TV, but I understand how everyone has to be locked down.)
Another complexity involves broadcast time. Stewart told me in an e-mail that he does "not believe that ESPN will dedicate more than a three hour window to the stunt" or "that a mainstream audience will have interest watching for a period longer than that anyway." This might lead someone to conclude that they'd need to jack up the blinds and antes super-high to force the action into a watchable time period.
He assured me that Harrah's had no such thing in mind. Everyone in the process is trying to develop a formula of starting play before the broadcast hits the air, "flash editing" to catch up, and going live for the final stages in a reasonable broadcast window. Stewart didn't come out and say, "We'll never under any circumstances alter the blind structure for TV" - though maybe he'll read this and tell me just that - but it sounds like the goal is to arrange the broadcast to fit around the natural Main Event endgame, and not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to update