Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

stack to Pot ratio
Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stack to Pot ratio

[/ QUOTE ]

So I thought about SPR last night for the first time. 5-10 Pot limit game. I have 1200 behind. Uber aggressive player on my immediate left has 2500. I open limp AK off 3rd to act. Uber pops it to 50 as hoped (you can bring it in for 50 any time), and gets a call in the backfield (800). Big blind also calls (1200).

Now I have to decide whether to reraise. If I call, my SPR will be a solid 5.7:1 and I will commit if I flop TPTK or better. If I raise it to 200-250 to go preflop and get at least 1 caller, my SPR will be ~2:1 or less. If I repop and Uber pushes I likely have 43% equity at best v QQ-TT.

Because I miss the flop 2/3rds of the time and when I hit, I have a decent chance to make money given my relative position, I decided to smooth call with a decent 5.7:1 SPR for AK instead of making the riskier play.

Had Uber's raise knocked everyone out and I was heads up with AK, I was planning to repop since calling would give me 11.5:1 SPR in no man's land. Or, if I had AA-KK instead of AK and Uber's raise got the same 2 callers, I would have repopped.

Flop comes A K 5 with 2 hearts. BB checks. I decide Uber may have gotten a piece of the board, and if I lead into him, he might raise and potentially knock a flush draw out. I lead out for $175, and he raises to $750. The others fold. This is what I was planning for, so I push for $400 more. If he has AA-KK or 55 or a combo draw, so be it.

He thinks a bit and folds.

Thanks Sunny, Matt and Ed for outlining the SPR framework.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 AM

If the above analysis is based upon the methodology proposed in the book then all I can say is thank you in advance of reading the book. This sounds amazing and I can only hope Amazon gets their act together and gets me my book quick.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead out for $175, and he raises to $750. The others fold. This is what I was planning for, so I push for $400 more. If he has AA-KK or 55 or a combo draw, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian played this hand horribly.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Review of cover design

[ QUOTE ]
btw, i tried out raising 6xBB pf with AA/KK over 15,000 hands at 25nl and 50nl: i got called twice. one was a shortstack. so not sure how well the preflop bet sizing is going to go over online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you crazy? Do you realize how much you could make by simply raising any 2 cards 6BB? Every time you are dealt 72(s or o), raise 6BB. Out of 15,000 trials, this will happen 178 times, and you'll get called twice. If you get called, fold your hand blind on the flop without even looking to see if you flopped trip 2s. This will cost you 2 x $3 = $6. For the other 176 hands, you will make 176 x .75 = $132. Total profit = $126.

Not bad for 72.

But of course, that's not really what happened, is it?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lead out for $175, and he raises to $750. The others fold. This is what I was planning for, so I push for $400 more. If he has AA-KK or 55 or a combo draw, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian played this hand horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully he won't read PNL.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 AM

most players wont read books/very little will change
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
most regular players do read books
Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
most regular players do read books

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - So I am on my second read through. Overall, the writing is very clear and direct. It is an "easy" read, even if some of the concepts require thought to digest. Kudos to Ed Miller, whom I am sure is at least partly responsible for the imminent readability.

The first half of the book breaks no new ground, but is an excellent primer for NLHE play. Basics, Fundamentals and REM (Range, Equity Maximize) should be nothing new to, but a good refresher for, experienced players. It will be excellent material for beginning players who don't think much beyond their own two cards. These sections account for pages 1-138.

Pages 140-295 include the Commitment Threshhold/Planning and Stack to Pot Ratio discussions. This is the groundbreaking material which I have never seen written about. Some of it is intuitive. Some of it is not. But it is explained in clear terms, and based on my limited experience employing the ideas, it provides an excellent framework to guide your actions at the table.

Like a poster above, I shudder to think how many bad spots I have put myself in by making the "standard" play.

This book will get you thinking about the right things. Which will make you money. Kudos to Matt and Sunny for the new ideas presented in the second half of the book.

Looking forward to Vol 2.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Players who read/study the game to players who don't ratio is probably like 1 to 40

then if you take those individuals and weed out only the ones who understand and apply the information correctly that is given in most poker poker books that number would be insanely low IMO