Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Turbo or Normal SNGs

I used to hate the turbo tournaments and totally avoid them. As I get better at NL tournaments I am finding I can play them as well as the normal blind tournaments. Even though luck goes up how much does it? If I am making the correct decisions based on blinds, bets, players then I should do equally well as a normal tournament. Do bad players make more mistakes in turbo?

I will make a conclusion that if you are equally well at either and can win the same amount at either then it is better to play turbos because you can play more of them in the same time frame.

Any reason to play one over the other?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Turbo or Normal SNGs

Turbos will generally give you a lower ROI than normal SNG's, because there is less room to outplay the fish. Even if you play perfectly in both, the fish have fewer hands to make mistakes in turbos. Also, as the blinds get high, shoving all in or folding become the only viable moves, which means that the fish will often stumble upon the correct play accidentally, to your detriment.

On the plus side, turbos sometimes have lower rake (e.g., 25+2 on Stars as opposed to 20+2 regulars), and they're quicker, so ever with a lower ROI you might make more $/hr.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Better players want to play more hands. Larger tournies and structures that allow for more hands, will allow the cream to rise. I'm a bowler, a game in which luck plays a large factor, similar to poker. If a poor bowler wanted to bet me a large amount on a total score event, I'd push for it to be as many games as possible. He'd have a better chance of getting lucky and winning a one-game match than he would beating me over a 5 or 10 game set. The same is true in poker. That said, even though the turbo version allows for more games completed in a given time frame, I think the better players will show more profit in a regular format. This is simply because the regular format will usually involve more hands played, causing the luck factor to decrease slightly. For what it's worth....Chris.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM

I wish my anemic sample size was otherwise . . .

At the $11/$22 1 or 2 table SnGs, I have fared much better at the turbos. The fish don't seem to catch on to stealing from position and esp. re-steals vs. a LAG. Part of it is that I enjoy the short handed play in a 2 table & the FT, but I'm either in the middle of the nice side of vaiance (quite likely) or the turbo's just feel better. Dunno, but the juice is definitely less, which is nice.