Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Default WPT Mirage Showdown thread

Tonight starts a brand new season of WPT broadcasts on the Travel Channel, tonight it's the Mirage Showdown from May 2006. Here's the starting final table:

Stanley Weiss $2,437,000
Robert Mizrachi $2,019,000
Devin Porter $964,000
David Williams $921,000
Harry Demetriou $822,000
Steve Frederick $545,000
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: WPT Mirage Showdown thread

do u think/know if the WPT addressed the issue that the blinds are too high in relation to the stacks?? it would be nice to see good post-flop poker rather than pressure forcing players to make hasty moves too early...i mean, tournies should have a lot of pressure, but not from the start imo...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM

They have not addressed that problem....It is an absolute joke at the final table..the structure at most of these events is great until the final table then they reduce the time of each level to an hour....they force hands to be played slowly for dramatic effect which also limits the hands and the blinds are increased rapidly....some of the early moves are kind of forced by WPT and its really not fair to the players as when the money is the most the skill level is the least.

The main problem comes in when nobody gets eliminated early and stacks cant handle the blinds...if 3 people go in first level then they tend to work out ok, but in some of the episodes when people survive a couple levels it becomes a joke. This really has nothing to do with the Mirage, but does address the question posed.

DB
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM

oh... my ... god. worst wpt champion ever? how could he have made it through the entire field paying off and tilting like that? oh... my ... god.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh... my ... god. worst wpt champion ever? how could he have made it through the entire field paying off and tilting like that? oh... my ... god.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you hit runner-runner flush against David Singer on the TV bubble in a pot that would have crippled him.

Just a prime example of how luck can win poker tournaments. Not to mention the typical ridiculous high WPT blind levels.

Edit: I'm watching this on DVR delay, and I remember following the coverage live online, but damn. I forgot he called a 1.6mil all-in with K-5.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His folding of A2o on the button 3-handed when the SB had less than one blind left was criminally stupid. I was hoping the young dude would come back and bust him for that (and he made a run at it.)

Also, the insta-call of Harry's all-in with only a K5s was criminally stupid as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Devin Porter is a great player. He has cashed in four events this season on the WPT.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 PM

The way Vince Van Patten fell to the floor when Stan Weiss hit that two outer on the river was beyond hilarious. So glad I got that on the DVR.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Yeah, Harry definitely deserved to win this one. Had the blinds not risen so quickly the pros probably frustrate him and he goes out much sooner. Even with the high blinds he had to hit a 2 outer to stay in it.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 AM

Worst. WPT. Champion. Ever. What a [censored] tool. I loved it when he called off most of his chips with K [censored] 5 and drawing to 2 outs with middle pair although he sucked out hard on the latter.