Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: jordin bottom 3? buy/sell?

Jordin is a lot like Kat last year in that her numbers are generally higher than what DI shows. Her voters are west-coast people and since there are less west coast voters, there are less busy signals. DI uses busy signals to calculate the score. Trust me, she is getting votes in the West Coast voting.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jordin is a lot like Kat last year in that her numbers are generally higher than what DI shows. Her voters are west-coast people and since there are less west coast voters, there are less busy signals. DI uses busy signals to calculate the score. Trust me, she is getting votes in the West Coast voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

same goes for blake, but lakisha with the pimp spot? she probably wont go home this week, but she'll be valued with chris very soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 PM

I suppose also if there aren't many DI users on the west coast, she would be very under represented.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 AM

If you look at the GeoPredictions page on DI and change it from predicted loser to predicted winner you can easily see the split between East and West coast. The East is very "light green" which is Melinda while the West is "Brown" or "Olive" which are Haley and Jordin. Hover over most of the West states and you see both Haley and Jordin number 1 and 2 in almost every state. This is why I think Gina is in danger of going home this week. Haley and Jordin are usually higher than DI indicates.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"About busy signals, Ken insists that there is no congestion on the national telephone grid. The source of problems, he says, are the local exchanges."

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes the best way to lie is to tell the truth.

The reason the "national telephone grid" isn't congested is because AI probably doesn't use it!

When you place a phone call, you send the dialed number to a local telephone switch which is actually a powerful computer. This switch will see 866-XXXXXXX and realize it's not a real area code or phone number. No problem, the switch sends an inquiry over a data network to a database server that specializes in decoding toll-free numbers.

The server provides a real phone number and the long-distance carrier information. Since toll-free calls are charged to the receiver, he gets to pick the long distance company. In this case AT&T is a show sponsor.

The trick here is toll-free routing can be very sophisticated these days. The server doesn't have to provide the same routing information for calls from Philadelphia as for calls from Boston. I don't know what their setup is, but probably the last thing you want to do is route 30 million calls from all over the U.S. to a single call center in Hollywood. My guess is that a call from Boston may never leave the city. A local AT&T server would accept the call, tally the vote, and play the recording. This avoids a fortune in long-distance costs, protects the network from overload, and avoids the pain of building a call center and local network that can take 30 million calls in one place but is only used a few times a year.

The obvious implication for DI is that congestion is a local phenomena. The local server in Boston may not be quite big enough while Atlanta happens to have excess capacity. Busy signals in Atlanta end after two minutes while Boston has problems for an hour. That can magnify regional differences between candidates into major distortions.

"Amy" may be hot among DI users in Atlanta while "Bob" gets lots of DI votes from Boston. Bob will get many more busy signals than Amy because of where his sample is being measured. There aren't that many different DI users in the count and some contestants aren't very popular with DI users. Some of the reported results may be based on only a few dozen dialers. Even if there weren't regional biases that's not exactly a big sample.

This theory also explains why DI has gone sour this season. AT&T probably made system improvements during the offseason that undermined DI's accuracy.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm expecting a "surprise" member of the B3 this week including one of Lakisha, Jordin, or dare I say, Sanjaya.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not be surprised to see Sanjaya in the bottom 3.

Here is the thing with him as of today. Oddly enough, his performances the last 2 weeks have been better. The consensus was he wasn't even the worst person last week. I think he will be out sooner than most people expect.

When he completely bastardized songs people LOVED to see the trainwreck. After his totally abysmal performances weeks 11 and 12 people couldn't get enough of him. They couldn't wait to see how he could even outdo himself. I think since his singing has actually improved, people have lost interest in him and will stop voting for him because they are no longer anticipating a huge meltdown on the show.

I for one liked Sanjaya more a month ago than I do now. He used to be laughably bad, now he's just bad and I no longer even want to see him perform.