Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Greatest Obtainable Being Test

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If god tells you that the earth is 6,000 yrs old and it turns out not to be true, that alone says that God isn't Gob since he is not perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't tell me the age of the earth. Neither does science, it just guesses.

[/ QUOTE ]So Gob, a perfect being, made the world in which no reliable measurements can be made? I take it that you, like me, believe that the bible is not the word of god. Or at least that part in genesis stating the age of the world isn't the word of god.

What does God tell you? Besides that no reliable measurements can be made. I don't need to know everything, just some of the more important things?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Flying Spaghetti Monster and his posse are so last year. Next out the chute it's Gob the Cookie Monster.

[/ QUOTE ] Gob does do a good job of showing the inadequcies of FSM, and Jesus. Thanks for pointing that out skidoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. Your cookie god must have put that in your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you then believe that the account in the bible discribing god are not correct, or that the accounts are fitting of a perfect being. If you believe the accounts in the bible descibe a perfect being, is it because you underestimate god, or because you worship an imposter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "perfect" in this context?

[/ QUOTE ]It is Gob's wishes that we ponder on perfection. Do you not want milk AND cookies? The only thing I know for certain about perfection is cookies being dunked into milk. The rest is for us to uncover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll remember that when I'm watching Sesame Street.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll remember that when I'm watching Sesame Street.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes there are some childish aspects to believing in a being that watches over you. But you should remeber the point when you are reading the bible. When you are studying "gods" word. Are these the type of actions of a perfect being, or of an imposter?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I take it that you, like me, believe that the bible is not the word of god. Or at least that part in genesis stating the age of the world isn't the word of god.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe the Bible is God's Word. Please tell me where in Genesis the age of the world is stated.

[ QUOTE ]

What does God tell you? Besides that no reliable measurements can be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

God says in the Bible that the problem isn't the way He made the world but the way man has ruined it by trying to know apart from God's Word, thus making reliable measurements more difficult to obtain.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me where in Genesis the age of the world is stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't. Not to mention the fact that Genesis is written according to a genre of expression that preceded by centuries the journalistic literalism introduced by the Greeks.

Some people get the notion, possibly from too much milk and cookies before naptime, that they can make do with a dilettante's reading of a deep subject, kind of like the drunk after-dinner crowd that sounds foolish in a loud voice at the museum.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do believe the Bible is God's Word. Please tell me where in Genesis the age of the world is stated.

[/ QUOTE ] Was the world created in 6 days with a day of rest? What does god need to rest for? A gob would not ever need to rest. Perhaps time for reflections and enjoyment of a job well done but rest? Seriously why does a perfect all powerful being rest?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me where in Genesis the age of the world is stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't. Not to mention the fact that Genesis is written according to a genre of expression that preceded by centuries the journalistic literalism introduced by the Greeks.

Some people get the notion, possibly from too much milk and cookies before naptime, that they can make due with a dilettante's reading of a deep subject, kind of like the drunk after-dinner crowd that sounds foolish in a loud voice at the museum.

[/ QUOTE ]Fine how about the stroy of Abraham and Isaac? Can I use that story literally as the word of god?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What does god need to rest for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say He needed rest. Not all rest is due to fatigue. The reason was to establish the idea of rest for us.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say He needed rest. Not all rest is due to fatigue. The reason was to establish the idea of rest for us.

[/ QUOTE ]NR and Skidoo? Do you beleive that the GOB test is applicable to other espoused religions? Do you find the idea that 72 virgins await matyrs to be the actions of a Gob? Or can we reject the claim allah as God based of the Gob test? Can we also apply the Gob test to FSM and IPU? I want to be clear that we can use the Gob test, before I continue to use it.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Well, what did God do when he "rested"? Should we not attemp to do the same?