Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Default PLO8 Newbie question

So in the past day I have picked up PLO8 because I was tired of losing in NLHE cash and boy was I suprised. In 6 or 7 hours I sat down at 5 different tables and didnt have a losing session other than the one Im posting here.

But being the perfectionist I am I want to know more.

This happened to me a LOT. I was playing lower limits, like micro up to .25/.50 so the game isnt that strong. But I kepy getting to the flop with as many as 6 or sometimes a whole family of 9. This 1 pot got me thinking...

I was holding A2xx and the board was 34Q. 4 players had bet behind me, one of which was all in for a big chunk and the other raising that. So I have a decision to make. Ive got about $20 left in front of me and the pot is well over 4 times that with all the crazy loose action. I know I am drawing to the nut low and probably wont split the low with many people if I do. I go ahead and push (being a newbie) and some guy shows a flush draw, one had 3 queens, one had an over pair, but none had the low. Of course I wiff and dont catch any lower cards. It went 9 J. and I lose some cash. I wasnt too mad because I know it was 1 of 2 things.

Beginners blunder or unluckieness.

So my question, when holding a draw to the nut low with the right pot size, it is ever justified to push and pray for that 8 or lower?

Also, what are the odds of hitting an 8 or lower on the turn or river?

Sorry if Im sounding totally stupid in this quote, I just lerned the game. (But Im still up $30 on the night, YAY!)
Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: PLO8 Newnie question

I think your first mistake is thinking you won't be splitting the low. When the nut low is something that common, and there is this much action, yeah, you are splitting it.

That is, you are splitting IF you hit a low card other than an A or 2. Granted, if there are 4 or 5 people involved heavily, I doubt there are many of those left.

That said, you are clawing for a low, with no high potential at all. Fold the flop, move on to the next hand.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: PLO8 Newnie question

I've played this game and level a lot. There are tons of limpers every hand, and bets only fold about half of them. In a big hand, I want the nut low made with a huge draw to the nut high before I put in all my chips. The great thing about the other players is that they're so bad they'll pay you off if you're patient. Note your first four sessions above.

The biggest problem w/ micro PLO8 online is realizing one hand too late that there's another competent player at the table.