Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Is PLO getting big big bigger?

Dear internet friends and pen pals,
Is pot-limit Omaha becoming more in vogue these days? Or am I just hearing more because I'm listening more? Is it gonna be the new steez and I should start learning how to play it right now?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Is PLO getting big big bigger?

You are too late - you should have started learning it years ago - [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, all of poker has been getting more popular. And now that HORSE is becoming the cadillac of poker games at the WSOP, a lot more players are becoming interested in HORSE and the games that comprise it. For players like me that are old hands at these games, it's a bonanza.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 AM

The more you play poker the more you hear about the other games. However, it is holdem that will always attract the new players because it is the most TV friendly.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear internet friends and pen pals,
Is pot-limit Omaha becoming more in vogue these days? Or am I just hearing more because I'm listening more? Is it gonna be the new steez and I should start learning how to play it right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

It attracts action junkies, Scandinavians, and NLHE players that are bored with their game. Relative to NLHE games with the same blinds PLO pots are bigger, more players seeing the flop, and there is much more variance (my PLO std per 100 is twice my NLHE std per 100 the variance). In some sense all three of these differences can be related to the fact that in Omaha hand equities are much closer - you are seldom a huge favorite and people will often have odds to draw by virtue of bets being limited to the pot.

Lucky