Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

I don't know if this has been discussed, but with Torre gone, A-Rod leaving, and I'm sure there are more players/coaches lost, is this the downfall of the Yankees? Will they become the Pirates of the next era in baseball?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM

please noone respond to italian, if people wanna get in stupid arguments go to the arod opts out thread....
next year is a little tricky...beyond that they have set them self up very nicely to have even better teams then they've had the last 12 years
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

It was an honest question. I have been thinking about it since the Yankees lost in the playoffs.

Onlinebeginner, if you're such an activist in this forum, why not make some valid points on this. I haven't read the entire thread and I'm not going to. Redirect me if it has been discussed, but don't try to moderate this thread when I was asking a serious question. I'm asking for the opinions of other sports fans who have more knowledge than I do. Yes, maybe my reference to the Pirates was a little low, but you get the idea.

I saw it with the Atlanta Braves. They won in 1995, and while they were still good for years after, as their team changed dramatically, they started losing touch. As the competitive advantage kicks into gear, worse teams in the past are getting better (Indians, Cubs, Rockies, etc) and the better teams in the past are losing ground (Yankees, Braves...etc).
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Here is what the Yankees need to do:

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr.

3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

This gives you a lineup of:

(DISCLAIMER: This is not how I would order the lineup, but this is how I anticipate they will roughly order the lineup- - obv i expect adjustments to be made to have a L/R/L/R order).

1. Melky CF/LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Abreu RF
4. Jones LF/CF
5. Giambi 1B
6. Posada C
7. Matsui DH
8. Cano 2B (if Cano really starts to improve, obv he needs to jump Matsui in the lineup)
9. Betemit 3B

Keep Doug Malphabet around to be a defensive replacement late game for Giambi. Shelley Duncan remains a solid bench option.

With all these moves intact, the starting rotation is still up in the air. CMW may be traded, possibly in a deal for Santana. Kennedy could also move. Pettitte might not pick up his option. Here are some of the possible starting fives:

Santana, Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Hughes/Joba (if Mussina starts so suck again, obv Joba is in)

Santana, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Wang, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Mussina, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy/one of the other billion young pitchers in the farm system

Assuming the Yankees don't get Santana:

Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Mussina

Wang, Hughes, Joba, Mussina, Kennedy/billion prospects

They could also move Igawa for Cla Meredith. That would be baller.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM

The above is totally serious or not obviously joking? I need to know.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely serious. I have no idea what is wrong with what I am saying, but I am open to criticism. Obviously the Yankees will need to move a blue chip for Santana, but I can't come up with who it will be.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Doesnt Andrew Jones suck?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt Andrew Jones suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a [censored] year, but he's 30 and I don't expect him to repeat his performance from last year.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely serious. I have no idea what is wrong with what I am saying, but I am open to criticism. Obviously the Yankees will need to move a blue chip for Santana, but I can't come up with who it will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard rumors of Wang, Kennedy and Melky. That's a lot for a guy who just might come for free next year. I'm not saying its too much for Santana. I'm just saying if he's going to be a FA next year....

Also, I don't think there's much of a market for Damon, Abreu or Matsui right now. And they prob won't make sense for the money we'd have to pay them to leave.

Also, your "Make Giambi god at 1b" is awesomely funny. I don't think its quite that simple though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, what exactly do you think its going to take to sign A Jones? Too much, probably.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Wang + Kennedy + Kennedy for Santana is godawful