Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Was it right?

Villain is loose and tries to steal pots a lot. What can/should I change here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

MP ($91.80)
Hero ($83.70)
Button ($44.30)
SB ($107.10)
BB ($171.10)
UTG ($96.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $19</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $36
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Was it right?

i like it. i do this stuff a lot if they're aggressive thieves [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. keep em in check. this boards nice to do it on since his range is probably low - mid suited connectors random crap like he coulda caught a pair on the board but is still scared so you can get him off of it. i'd go in further depth but i'm kinda blazed so yeah... i still like it based on his hand range and his aggression.

it's all about controlling the flow in the game. if you've got the control and aren't afraid of the $ like they if you're properly rolled you can really start to take charge of the game and handle LAGs for a lot of free $ just gotta pick the right board texture and trust your intuition in HU and 3 way pots with air/possible best hand..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Honestly I don't like it much. You really want him to fold here and I doubt a near min raise which gives him better than 3-1 is going to do it. If you are going to raise it should be a raise to about the pot ($28-$30) so as not to give flush and str8 draws odds to call (your bluff).

Also I feel like by raising you are representing a relatively narrow range of hands - you wouldn't be super happy with an overpair on this flop - you also would be happy with a hand like A9 unless it was A9d. By raising you are basically representing a set, two pair, a str8, or some type of draw. Depending on your pre-flop play this might be hard to get away with.

Lucky
Old 11-19-2007, 03:53 PM

lol you're obviously over evaluating the situation and looking at the hand from a 1 hand point of view not a whole session and it's a relatively dry board for his range of hands. And the raise shouldn't be so high. This is a bet thinking he's stealing the bet does not need to be over exaggerated to get him to fold air. Hahaha. And plus it's almost a value raise considering villian's tactics. pinning him on a flush or straight draw only is ridiculous considering his given range pre flop. This play is a good play for the total session most up and coming TAGs lose money to LAGs because they refuse to play back when they're in the position.

He had the best hand pre flop the board came low the guy took a steal bet just like he expected he raised instead of saying 'oh he's got me beat' He didn't spew chips by raising too much($28-30...) he raised just enough of the guys got air like he's expected he'll fold. And even if they do make it to a show down thru check checking he'll get value later on by letting the dumb LAG who probably makes too many calls over all will make even worse calls because he saw that Hero isn't afraid to raise with nothing.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM

I agree with Lucky that the raise is too small, but the play is pretty standard against over aggressive opponents.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol you're obviously over evaluating the situation and looking at the hand from a 1 hand point of view not a whole session

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope this isn't what I'm doing. My preference would be to catch him stealing (or overplaying a hand) when I actually have something. If I'm going to go through the trouble of bluff raising donk bet I'm going to do it with my standard sized raise.

[ QUOTE ]
and it's a relatively dry board for his range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah - the board is relatively wet for his range hands of hands - and it looks like it might have missed our hand completely (even more so with the near min raise). He may have little as air or as much as a str8 with a flush draw - but there is a good chance he has something that he would be unwilling to lay down for a virtual min raise.

Lucky
Old 11-19-2007, 05:20 PM

I need a good reason not to raise a donk bet on the flop but raise more
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM

lol that board is so dry compared to the wide variety of his range calling a raise from the SB as a LAG gives him a huge variety why do you think just coz it's low cards that are connected with a flush draw that the person hit that always continuation bets. if you don't get him off these stupid hands he'll out play you for your $ every time. I know because I've lost lots of $ to people who do this and now i repop them and take it down so much and take control of the game way more and my profit increase is considerable because of not folding and raising when i think people are bs'ing.

You can't give everybody credit all the time. I think this is ag reat spot to steal and i'm stickin to it due to his range of hands please give me what you think this dude's range of hands are!?!? we're not trying to force someone off a made hand here but there is a chance we can get him to fold bottom pair etc.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM

I like raising here, and I agree with raising bigger on the flop; you make it very easy for any draw to call your raise.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't give everybody credit all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that donk bets mean different things depending on the level. When I was playing 100NL regularly donk bets were often undersized bets by bad players aimed at stopping continuation bets (or for no reason in particular). When I moved up to 200NL I saw more normal sized donk bets with medium and high strength hands. As I continued to move up players were donking with a wide enough range of made hands that the raise the donk bet default no was no longer profitable.

I might donk this flop with a wide range that I would just call from the SB with, from nothing to the nuts (though I'm probably not just calling with 68 from the SB). If I knew your default play was to raise a donk bet I would be donking with my stronger hands and check-folding, checking-calling, and check-raising everything else.

Lucky