Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Default UTG question

Im trying to be more aggressive in my game than I used to. There are still hands that I am not quite sure what to do with. One is a hand like 22,33,44,55,66 under the gun. What is everyone's advice on playing these hands. Raise UTG or just limp and risk someone trying to isolate you?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: UTG question

6max i always raise these UTG. FullRing i would be folding these UTG

try to never open limp. fold or raise...
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM

i would limp utg full ring for set equity and try to get in cheap
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I mostly play 6 max
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 PM

I think you need to play these hands like you are going to flop the nuts. Limp and reraise like you have aa. This will get everyone to fold and FEAR you. Even if you get called you will flop quads like 1 out of a 1000 times. That should make up for the occassional pot you lose. Then after you win the pot your opponent will say "nice play you f####n donk. To which you will reply "I'LL PUT THE NUTS ON YA!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!! Just like Doyle Brunson.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 AM

It really depends on who is playing behind you and what their tendencies are. Below are some instances where it might not be best to make your standard raise.
- if there is a good chance you will get raised by a chronic 3-better sitting to your left, you may just want to limp. This way you would have implied odds to see the flop if it gets raised behind you when you wouldn't have had implied odds to see the flop if you raised and got re-raised.
- if you have people behind you that are stubborn with respect to folding to continuation bets, but are otherwise passive, you may want to limp or make a smallish raise (like 3x the bb) with the intent of inducing multiple calls behind you.
- if you have multiple very tough players behind you might just want to fold as it will be hard to take down the pot with a continuation bet and you will not get paid off enough when you raise and hit a set.

Lucky
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Implied odds are often too big just fold these UTG IMHO.

At 2NL up to 10NL and even some 25NL tables I even raise these to 4BB UTG. This increases the action I get when I have QQ+ UTG and I can also make a C-bet if I want to. Limping, while not necesarily bad is basically set or fold. Depends on what you want to do and on your opponents.

A lot of times I'm in set or fold mode even if I raise UTG, but it helps to build a big pot for a potentially big hand as well as disguise your hand a little. Over 120k hands, I'm fairly sure that I've won more with each of 33-77 UTG than I have with AKs UTG and I'm raising that obviously, I'll check for you when I get home.

I don't worry about getting 3bet as it doesn't happen all that often at these levels and it pretty much defines most villains' hands. If it does happen I call sometimes depending on effective stack size and/or there is another caller or I fold.