Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Default anyone have this knee issue?

Just curious if anyone has this particular issue, and if so, whether you've found any exercises helpful for it.

For many years, I've had minor pain in my left knee during what I would call a "transitional" phase of a bend. In other words, while I bend, but before I get to a certain locked position, there is a spot which bothers me. If I bend quickly, there is no problem. And if I bend just slightly, there's no problem. But in between that, the pain is troublesome.

This is particularly bothersome while skiing, which I do only about one week a year. It leads me to cut more deeply than I should when turning in one direction, just to avoid that in-between stage.

I asked a physical therapist about this, and he suggested some stretches for the quad. But I wonder if there are other things I can do.

Also, I've been afraid to try squats with weights, because it seemed like that could exacerbate the problem. But perhaps it would actually help?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: anyone have this knee issue?

In my experience squats/lunges helps strengthen the muscles around the knee and take pressure off the joint. You don't need to be a hero to start...try light weights at first.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious if anyone has this particular issue, and if so, whether you've found any exercises helpful for it.

For many years, I've had minor pain in my left knee during what I would call a "transitional" phase of a bend. In other words, while I bend, but before I get to a certain locked position, there is a spot which bothers me. If I bend quickly, there is no problem. And if I bend just slightly, there's no problem. But in between that, the pain is troublesome.

This is particularly bothersome while skiing, which I do only about one week a year. It leads me to cut more deeply than I should when turning in one direction, just to avoid that in-between stage.

I asked a physical therapist about this, and he suggested some stretches for the quad. But I wonder if there are other things I can do.

Also, I've been afraid to try squats with weights, because it seemed like that could exacerbate the problem. But perhaps it would actually help?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...we need a bit more then "theirs a pain mid squat". Just try what your therapist said and also I would try knee extensions as well and choose which one does not cause pain/causes the least amount of pain. Also remember to do hamstring (even if they're unweighted) because your problem may be from weak hamstrings (which actually kick in mid way through a squat).

just my IMO
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM

I have a similar problem in my left knee from a bit of torn cartilage. Putting tension on it at certain angles kills me. I went through physical therapy for a while and still continue the exercises from that. Mainly leg extensions. Most machines allow you to adjust the range of motion allowing you to find a comfortable zone for your knee. Also, squats. Light weights, high reps. I have been doing these exercises for a few years and have seen significant improvement with my knee.