Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 AM

Default 2 overpair hands

I mostly play no-limit, but I'm trying to improve my limit game since the only live games within 200 miles are limit. Anyway, as soon as I got raised in both of these hands I figured I was toast, but word on the street is you go to showdown a lot in limit with TPTK+.

Hand 1: UTG is solid, CO is 38/5/1.8 over 80 hands. Can I safely dump this on the turn, or does CO have T8 enough to call? C/f the river?

Poker Stars, $10/$20 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls

Flop: (12 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, CO calls

Turn: (7.5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="red">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls

River: (13.5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Hero folds

Hand 2: Villain seems bad and laggy - 60/18/0.7 over 50 hands. I called down because Villain seems fishy and there's always a chance he has 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but the check/cold-3bet seems like a ten pretty much always, doesn't it?

Poker Stars, $10/$20 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, CO calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">CO bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="red">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, Hero calls

Turn: (8.5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls

River: (10.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, Hero calls
Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 2 overpair hands

Any help on these? Even 1-line answers would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

I think Hand 1 is fine -- folding an overpair to a turn raise in a 5-handed game is losing money, and the river is an easy fold after UTG checkraises.

Hand 2 you should probably fold the river. I can't see him firing another bullet there without being able to beat the K (0.7 is a low aggression factor post-flop, which indicates he's got you beat), but who knows; it's a nice-sized pot so the crying call isn't horrible.

Since nobody replied here, I'll ship this thread to the short-handed forum. 6-max and under goes over there.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Proofrock,
These are both very standard hands. In the first hand you made a good, disciplined fold on the river after having played the rest of the hand perfectly, albeit straightforwardly. In hand 2, there is no way you can fold your hand against a player with such erratic stats, so you played that one perfect too.

If these straightforward hands are troubling you, I'd strongly advise posting in small stakes shorthanded forum here to retool/regain confidence.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM

both hands are played perfect IMO
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM

nobody three bets the turn in hand 1?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he had to make a pretty weird play somewhere in this hand to have a worse hand. 3betting seems really bad
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this, but I figured 3-betting at best isolates me vs. the guy who has me beat. I figured calling the turn and river was better than 3-betting the turn, calling the 4-bet and check/calling (or check/folding?) the river unimproved.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If these straightforward hands are troubling you, I'd strongly advise posting in small stakes shorthanded forum here to retool/regain confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-handed limit is definitely not my best game, so I probably should spend more time in the small-stakes forum anyway. Regardless, the only thing that troubled me about these hands is that after the turn in hand 1 and on the flop in hand 2 I think I'm behind a lot more often than I'm ahead, and especially once I get to the river I can't think of a single hand I beat. Just wanted to make sure that once I get to the river I do actually win the 5-10% of the time that I need to for a call to be profitable.