Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Default 30/60 hilo river play

what do u think of how i played the river?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___folds

Total pot: (8.50 BB)
Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: 30/60 hilo river play

I'd check-call the river.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 PM

I'd call the river and lose. Your method of folding the losing hand is probably more profitable.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check-call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 PM

my reasoning for betting river was that i thought he would usually pay off with something like jacks up or tens up, and i didnt think he would raise without trips or better
Old 11-15-2006, 09:00 PM

i check the river hoping to induce a bet from two pair and avoid any possibility of a raise.

as played, i probably call the raise expecting to lose, but hoping he's trying to make some sort of move with two pair and also to see what kind of hand he cold called on 3rd with and called to the river against your board, cause i don't think i like villian's line here.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 PM

Checking the river is pretty horrid. I probably pay off the raise, but I respect your line. I'd be more likely to take it if I didn't have four hearts in my hand.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the river is pretty horrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for emphasis. Checking this river is ridiculous and completely results based.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the river is pretty horrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's quite an overstatement. Any hand that's likely to call the river here (anything that beats 8's up) is just as likely to valuebet the river when checked to.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 PM

If you bet, you'll usually be winning one or zero bets when you have best hand and losing two when you have the worst hand. If you check, you'll win a bet when he value bets big two pair hoping for a call from naked 8's or 8's up (the same bet that would have been won by betting), but you don't allow him the opportunity to raise when he completes a flush or straight.