Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Need Help With Re-Raising Pre-Flop.

I recently jumped limits from 1/2 NL to 2/5 NL. I'm still doing fairly well but I'm quickly recognizing that I need to make a major adjustment. At 1/2 I re-raised a very small range pre-flop as I like to trap the uber-aggressives frequently. I used it mainly as an isolation play or a bluff.

Now it's a whole new ballgame. The players at this level don't go for traps nearly as often so I have to expand my range. How far should I expand? Currently AA, KK, QQ, AK, and AQ is about it, maybe a mix-up suited connector if stacks are deep. It obviously depends on the opponent, but could I have a good expectation going as low as JJ,10 10, 99, KQ? What kind of range do you guys have here? Any particular move you use on the flop to augment this play? Assume 100+BB full ring games. Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Need Help With Re-Raising Pre-Flop.

I think you definately can profit by adding the hands you mentioned into your range. Just have to be selective about when and who you do reraise. I would even add pairs all the way down to 66 if you have a read on your opponnent and can isolate.

Say you have a pair of 8's and a rather predictable opponnent, whom you read to likely have two big cards, and will not come back over the top before the flop raises. If you have respect at the table and can clear the rest of the field with a reraise, occassionally I would do so and proceed to the flop in postion against an opponnent who will probably check and fold to a bet after a whif. Kinda depends on how you feel about investing a lot of chips before for the flop as a minor statistical favorite.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 AM

If you're on the button and the CO has open-raised then you can treat it like a 4-handed game. Lower your range to A10s and 77 if you feel like being aggressive.

In the style of omaha if the table is very loose-passive I like to throw out bets that represent AK upwards with medium suited connectors and 1-gappers as well (from the button or CO). Multiple limpers ahead an optional bonus. A relatively high variance play but will be very +EV if you know how to play draws in positon well and you are up against donks.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:38 PM

I think limiting yourself to those hands is a massive mistake, no matter what the level, no matter what the stack size.

You need to play more hands and get aggresive with those hands.

Otherwise it won't take long for people to realise your style.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM

I play a wider range of hands than just those and typically I'm the one who opens the pot. My question is strictly concerning re-raising. My aggression factor is over 2, so I'm not limp happy.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Nice tip. An obvious answer I overlooked. I play pretty well shorthanded, but I never stopped to think about equating the two. I'm all about being aggressive and have no issue getting money in even as a slight favorite.