Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Weird facebook/social issue

Cliff Notes: I'm bored and I'm curious about a perplexing facebook blocking

This is probably a retarded post, so only read this if you're really bored, but...

I went to trivia at this local pizza place on Wed night with a bunch of friends. Of the 7 or so of us, there's one girl there who I faintly recognize but I don't know who she is. I find out that she goes to my school and we talk, but only here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary. Later a bunch of us go to another bar and play some pool, drink, etc. After that 3 of us end up at one guy's apt -- he's one of my better friends here so I was actually there mainly to drink with him and shoot the [censored]. Neither one of us was making a move on this girl so it wasn't like there was anything going on, we were just hanging out and playing drunken Jeopardy (ie, watch TV and call it out AFAP). I talked to her a little more while we were there, but it wasn't like we were hitting it off as far as I could tell. It was just because there were less of us there. So I bounce around 4 AM and walk back to my apt while she sleeps on a couch at that apartment (just so it's clear, there's a 0% chance there was anything going on with them, she was just a little too drunk to drive).

Now, tonight, I see that a random person added me on facebook. I check out the profile and recognize her as my roommate's ex (but they're still friendly), so I hit add, etc. I notice that our one mutual friend (my roommate) has a new profile pic so I click on his link to leave him some dumb wall post about it. Then I see the latest wall post on his facebook is from the girl from the night before. But... I can't click on her name and her picture is a question mark. I'm like, wtf? Out of curiousity, I try to search her and nothing shows up. Another buddy of mine is down her staying with us this week, so I ask him to search her -- I didn't think it was possible to make yourself un-addable to the entire community. She comes right up.

As far as I can tell, she blocked me. I have no clue why. Is this a technical bug of some kind in facebook? I find that hard to believe since it's a very well-programmed site. But I also can't believe that a girl who I don't even know and only hung out with for a few hours would block me. Not only that, she was telling me to go to another party that happened tonight (I didn't go). I wasn't getting bad vibes from her at all.

Really confused. I don't really need a play here because I don't care that much, but I'm really really curious wtf is going on here. Anyone have any clue?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Weird facebook/social issue

Blocking makes her unsearchable by you and removes her from your friend list. So if she is on your friend list, it is something else.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 AM

this has never happened to me. doesn't she know you are famous?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blocking makes her unsearchable by you and removes her from your friend list. So if she is on your friend list, it is something else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 90% sure she was never on my friend list.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 AM

So, if I read this right, this isn't the girl you added as a friend?

I think some people just block themselves from being viewed by anyone they aren't friends with, even if you're in the same network. I don't think it's personal.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:35 AM

could be network-related. with privacy settings, you can block everyone outside of networks you list yourself as in, so if your buddy that did the search is in a network that you are not, that could be why she showed up on his search and not on yours. or she could just be ultra sensitive and took offense to your not showing up at the other party. some girls take fb that seriously.

also, those are the worst cliffs notes ever. it's like 'cliffs notes for julius caesar: it's a book about julius caesar'
Old 09-14-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think some people just block themselves from being viewed by anyone they aren't friends with, even if you're in the same network. I don't think it's personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched for her. I can see her. Her friends. And add her. So. It's not that.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this has never happened to me. doesn't she know you are famous?

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. She was actually really nice to me and did complement me on my watch -- I was wearing a pretty nice Breitling. There wasn't really anything else to indicate to her that I was different than any other student. I'd also be surprised if she knew the value of the watch other than thinking that it looked nice.

But if you're being serious, I don't think she knows much about my involvement in the poker world.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't add anyone.

Someone added me (completely unrelated) and that's how I saw this other girl. I recognized her name on my roommate's wall and that's when I got curious.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, those are the worst cliffs notes ever. it's like 'cliffs notes for julius caesar: it's a book about julius caesar'

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, I know. The cliff notes are more of a joke than anything else.