View Poll Results: Is this...
True 11 31.43%
False 7 20.00%
Insufficient information 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Default EDF Cooking Contest--Grilling Challenge

Get your grill on.

We're having a good bye to summer grilling challenge. Details: Anyone can compete. Competition runs for the month of September. Anything goes as long as it's cooked on the grill. Foreman grills and grill pans are allowed.

Here is the link to the inaugural challenge which was tomato.

For reference, you may want also to check out these Iron Chef OOT challenges: Cabbage, Sweet Potato, Bacon, Rice, Beef, Avocado, Ricotta, Garlic, Catfish, Radish, Duck, asparagus, & chili peppers.

Now go fire up the coals (or do whatever it is you gas/foreman/pan grillers do).
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Grilling Challenge

All,

A couple of ideas discussed in the last thread.

1) If you're a basic cook like me, feel free to grill up some awesome burgers and whatever else on the grill and submit them. If all you have is a small Foreman, do something on that. We'll separate the entries into a couple of groups to give the less experienced cooks a shot at glory as well.

2) Submit stuff early. We'll comment and provide critiques of dishes so people can revise and resubmit - and hopefully create more delicious versions of their initial creations.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Something AWESOME I just made a few weeks ago:

Slice up 1-2 apples, mix with brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon or whatever sweet stuff you have laying around.

Marinate 1 pack of chicken thighs in soy sauce, 1 clove of garlic and some brown sugar. I only let this marinate for ~1 hour.

Skewer the apples and throw the chicken on the grill all at the same time. Grill it up and serve with rice and your favorite hot sauce and some white wine. The sweet apples with the spicy chicken is absolutely amazing.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Let me get the pics, don't blame me if you drool on your keyboard....
Old 09-07-2007, 02:07 AM

Oh man, I just ran out of charcoal at roughly the date that I was ready to say "It was a good summer of grilling and now I'm done," anyway, so I figured it was a perfect zen like time to call it quits.

I may just have to buy some more and make something for this.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 AM

I realize this is pretty informal and so this is mostly an unnecessary question, but: what are the thoughts on combination cooking methods? Grilling+braising, and so on...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM

Sapo,

I like to combo cook. A lot of times I'll start steaks (especially thick ones) on the grill, and finish them in the oven with some garlic or truffle butter or something (I love truffle butter). I'm not a huge fan of the crispy char that you get when you cook a steak all the way through on the grill. With my combo, I get good grill-marks and a nice crunchy outside, but the oven keeps it not too crunchy and very tender. I don't do this always, just on thicker cut meats.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM

El Sapo--Combo cooking absolutely allowed, there are many people who boil various meets before grilling; for instance, there are those who boil their brats or ribs before putting them on the grill. Combining cooking methods I think is natural for some and therefore is definitely in. However, the dish must kiss the flame (or Foreman/grill pan--whatever) to be considered an entry.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, I just ran out of charcoal at roughly the date that I was ready to say "It was a good summer of grilling and now I'm done,"

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak. By a shovel and grill in the winter like a real man.

I wish I had known about this last week when I made my ribs (2 slabs with a basic BBQ rub and 1 with a latin spice rub) and about a dozen pork-chops brined then rubbed with the same rub grilled on the rotisserie (why is that word so hard to spell??)

Unfortunately, this weekend isn't grill weekend it's "Vat of Gumbo" weekend for the Bears game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, this weekend isn't grill weekend it's "Vat of Gumbo" weekend for the Bears game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Competition runs all month, so grill something up next weekend or the next weekend or...

I'm going camping this weekend, so I may have some pics of roughing-it fare when I get back...