Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Should I get another Dog (Pics)

I'm interested in hearing more from people who have male/female or female/female combinations of dogs.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM

I have never personally had two dogs at once, my sister had the male/female-no problems and a friend has female(old) and two young males-no problems.

I really think it depends on the dogs.
(sorry probably doesn't help much-but there seems to be a lot of people on this forum with more than one dog)
Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Ive had a male dog for almost 4 years. About a year ago we decided to get a second dog for the same reason you are considering. The second dog is a female. We didnt go through any great steps of introduction and they get along fine and have since we brought the new dog home.

However, the two dogs dont really spend much time together and dont really play together much. An occassional wrestling match will break out but usually both do their seperate things.

I do like the new dog but honestly the reason we got her was to help entertain/keep the 1st dog company and really that isnt the case. Im not sure if its the personality of the 1st dog or the age difference (about 6 years).
Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 AM

Pretty lab, Badger. Where were those pics taken?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM

OP: your dog looks exactly like mine, and is named Coco too.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pedernales Falls State Park- Not too far West of Austin, TX. Pretty cool place.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pedernales Falls State Park- Not too far West of Austin, TX. Pretty cool place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought I recognized it. I miss Austin. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 03:36 PM

LockForward's recommendations are excellent IMO. I have 5 year old male mixed breed, a 19 month old bloodhound bitch, and 4 month old bloodhound male (my avatar). The 5 year old male is a mega alpha but he's been trained well and is under control. A great dog btw. He doesn't interact with the other two dogs very much as it's just his nature. He's never been that interested in other dogs. The bloodhounds play together some but will interact more as the male gets older. If the dogs are neutered I don't see a problem with male/female dogs. My bloodhounds aren't [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. My bitch has a great temperment and she gets along with other bitches well, at least so far. I guess the bottom line is that it depends on the dog.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM

Two dogs are certainly better than one. As several people have mentioned, dogs are social creatures. Two dogs will bond, and will play with each other, exercise each other, watch out for each other, etc.

They're certainly more expensive, but I certainly will always have two dogs. I've had one, and then I noticed the strong change in my dogs behavior (positive) by adding in another dog to the mix. Now I'd never go back to just one dog.

You won't have any problems with male / male, female / female, whatever. As long as you're the dominant one - pack leader if you're a Cesar fan - and as long as both dogs recognize you as their leader, its not a problem to introduce a second dog usually. And if it is a problem, its just a little bit of work. Usually you take them on a couple walks together (bonding via pack behavior, both traveling together) and let them play in an open ideally neutral area (no territory issues) its usually a complete non-issue.

I have two female dogs, pics posted in that most recent dog pics thread if you want to see. Introduced teh second dog to the mix when the first was one year old, and it was perfect.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:45 PM

I'm really looking forward to a second dog. Was going to spend Saturday researching more and get to the dog shelter, but just found out I'll be dogsitting a Weim. til Sunday. Pretty happy about that as they are similar to my childhood dog, a Viszla. I'll post pics if it happens the following weekend.