Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Renouncing US Citizenship

if you marry an italian citizen, i think you can get EU citizenship 6 months later. if you get divorced, i dont know if you get to keep it.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a basic plan in place to acquire EU citizenship in 5 years after I decide to go through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To get a EU-citizenship you first have to beecome a citizen of one of the countries that are members of the Union. What country are you going for?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: what I don't like is that the government uses so much of my money (I believe around 50% now) to go to war and war like things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, but why make a lifetime commitment when this policy could change within your lifetime? It might even change with the next president. You never know. Once you denounce your US citizenship, then you're gone and no coming back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely considering it's been going on for about a century.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely considering it's been going on in almost every country for the last 3000 years.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-20-2007, 04:30 PM

There are probably some differences in the degree of difficulty of becoming citizen in different countries within the EU. Im not able to tell you where it would be easiest though, but maybe the poorer coutnries from the ole eastern europe are less concerned about protecting their system than wealthier countries in northern Europe.

I know Denmark are really strict now, they passed stricter immigration laws like 5 years ago or something. The son of the prime minister of Denmark is not able to move back to Denmark because he married an American woman and the couple had spent more time in US than in Denmark, making US the country where he by their definition is more connected to.

Greece on the other hand lets Americans who can document that their grandparents were Greek to attain citizenship.

You ought to be very motivated if you want to leave the US for the eastern EU-countries though.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Most EU countries have much higher taxes then the states so I'm confused. If OP hates the government for taxing 50% of his income (which sounds wrong anyway) does he know he'll pay more tax in the EU then he does in the States?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:17 PM

Think he is more concerned about the amount of money going to the military and are spent on wars. None of the countries in EU comes close to the US in military spending, so if thats his biggest problem it make some sense. The problem is finding a country where the government where he approve of the policies, several of the countries in EU are involved in Afghanistan and/or Iraq.

But it seems that he hasnt limited it down to just EU, so he have several countries to pick from. In his first post he talked about grandparents from Russia, but if hes against governments that wage war he should stay away from that country. The other country where he has grandparents from is Poland, one of the countries in Europe who has been most supportive of the US policies after 9-11.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Plus reading about Polish politics and their election it doesn't seem like a good choice.

Canada might work for him. Our military (which I support strongly) is in Afganistan but that is the first use in a very long time. It is also smaller then NYC police force.

I don't pay taxes but if I did I rather they go to defence then to useless social programs.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus reading about Polish politics and their election it doesn't seem like a good choice.

Canada might work for him. Our military (which I support strongly) is in Afganistan but that is the first use in a very long time. It is also smaller then NYC police force.

I don't pay taxes but if I did I rather they go to defence then to useless social programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the problem for me isn't the high percent that goes bye bye in taxes but how its spent. also henry i wouldn't classify it as "defense" spending. talk on this subject is incredibly orwellien where everything really is backwards. our military goes to attack other countries not defend. or for instance the "war on terror", our country is the real terror, the terror done to us caused 2k deaths, we've caused far far more than that. anyway, besides the point

studying this issue brings up a couple interesting points. as someone mentioned, the US passport is really a good thing to have cause it lets us go wherever we want. on the other hand, countries (the US) are so full of s.hit when they talk about free trade. it's just free trade that allows money to come into the country, not people.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the other hand, countries (the US) are so full of s.hit when they talk about free trade. it's just free trade that allows money to come into the country, not people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if I understand the last sentence. Do you mean that more people should be allowed to immigrate to the US? Because if thats your point you will really have a hard time finding a country where you would be satisified with the government. Canīt think of a western country that allows more poor immigrants into their country than the US.

And to your point about 50% being spent on war... you are greatly overestemating the cost of the wars that US are involved in.