Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Default 10 Player Top 5 ITM SNGs

On Bodog they have sngs where the top 5 get paid out of 10. They call them “beginner” sngs. They only offer 4 buy-in levels of these (the highest of which is $16+1.60) and I’ve been wondering why other sites don’t make them more mainstream. The 16’s are pretty popular on Bodog and filled with terrible players.

The Payouts are as follows:
1st – 30%
2nd – 25%
3rd – 20%
4th – 15%
5th – 10%

It’s a very flat payout, but rewards you for being able to make the money. Note 5th place just gets a buy-in back minus the rake, so they actually lose a little money.

I think putting this kind of tournaments in for higher buy-ins on the mainstream sites would really attract terrible players. People see that you only have to make the top 5 to get paid and think, “Hey top 5, I can do that.” And they can, terrible players make the money more often than they do in your typical sng structure, but for good players, these are easily beatable. They are also easily multi-tabled.

Unfortunately Bodog’s software pretty much sucks. You can only play 3 tables at once and their hand history system blows. There is some software you can use to record hand histories, DogWatch Handgrabber, but poker tracker doesn’t support Bodog tournament hand histories, so no PAHUD. These are also normal speed tournaments, so they typically last a little longer than an hour.

I think these tournaments have less variance, smaller bankroll requirements, and are very profitable. Even if they aren’t implemented on PokerStars or Full Tilt, they are an easy way to build a bankroll. What do other people think about these tournaments?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: 10 Player Top 5 ITM SNGs

Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone know where we should send email suggesting these?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 PM

As a good player you would make considerably more money playing a standard 50/30/20 structure.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 PM

I think there's a reason they're called beginner SNGs. They're designed to allow a beginning player to practice without blowing their bankroll and leaving the game forever.

I don't think these would be profitable for a good player - if for no other reason than ICM really breaking down when your opponent doesn't even know what his calling range is ...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Yeah you said it yourself, this structure is great for worse players, and consequently worse for the better players. You stand to make the most money playing a typical structure, though if you can't stand losing and variance these might be the better way to go.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
filled with terrible players.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lower level games with a standard 50/30/20 payout are also filled with terrible players. Maybe thats why these "beginner" games are not that popular on other sites.

If you put in a solid effort to learn proper sng strategy, you should be able to cash in a standard structure often enough to make more loot than these other games allow.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a good player you would make considerably more money playing a standard 50/30/20 structure.

[/ QUOTE ]