Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Default NL200 Strong draw with mixed stack sizes, play it fast or slow?

NL200 - Bodog

Maybe this is really straightforward and I'm over thinking it.

a couple of limpers to me on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
My stack is ~$270

I make it $15 to go
BB (stack ~70) calls, UTG+1 calls (stack ~300)

Given the BB flat call, I assume he's a bad short stack player and could be calling with a pretty wide range as bad short stacks do.

Pot ~$50

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB leads for $20, UTG+1 flat calls

My action?

I generally would play a strong draw like this pretty fast given the donk bet and caller, but the mixed stack sizes make me think I should flat call and peel one.

The short stack almost always has some sort of made hand that I'm flipping with. I'd really like to keep the UTG+1 player in the hand with a lesser draw. It's also possible that he has a big hand that he isn't laying down and I'm behind both players. If UTG+1 flopped a set, I think he would raise quite a bit, but he would want me in the hand as much as I want him in the hand. But since he's limp/calling I'm not giving him a while lot of credit.

Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: NL200 Strong draw with mixed stack sizes, play it fast or slow?

I think just calling here is ok, because if you raise here, BB pushes and UTG+1 folds, you're pretty much in the worst position you could be in. A donk bet normally means strenght here, maybe a range like set, overpair and maybe a flopped straight (eventually A7 or something...). As BB has only 50 behind now, raising here and pushing UTG off his hand would pretty much destroy your implied odds and that can't be our goal here.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: NL200 Strong draw with mixed stack sizes, play it fast or slow?

on bodog i'd probably just call.

I think that calling is going to put you in a great situation on a lot of turns, whereas raising sometimes puts you in a bad situation (ie when smoothcaller shoves for 300 and you have to fold with a ton of pot equity).