Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Common Spot with Middle Pair

I always seem to overvalue/undervalue this type of situation: folding the winner, overplaying the loser.

Villain is 35/22/1.81

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Common Spot with Middle Pair

Meh, I hate this spot.

Villain probably isn't raising with a flush draw here, if he knows anything about relative position. It could be a combo draw though (QJh, QTh, JTh), since he's got good equity HU. He could also obv be raising the flop with a hand like T9, J9, etc.

I generally call down here though, and at the very least take a note.

The turn is interesting. I think the bet is best for a few reasons. Firstly, free showdown, where we can gain a lot of info for the future. Secondly, if he does have the draw, charging him is a must. Thirdly, although it's probably non-existant, we may have fold equity &gt; 0. And forth, because I don't want him to be value betting his K-rag into me on the river if we check here.

Beyond that, I don't think he has enough in his range that we beat for him to bluff the river into us if we check the turn, so I like a bet/check line for the turn/river.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Nice reply. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM

I'd play it the same.