Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 AM

Default To fold or to be a call station?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Omaha/8 (10 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (30.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 39.50 BB

Didn't put any thought into this, just saw the amount of players and the size of the pot and my lack of recent cards and wins got me into call station mode.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: To fold or to be a call station?

I might probably fold turn, any A2 has made his low, and the way that your opponents are betting aggressively, there is a good chance one of them has a set. I fall into these sorts of traps often myself.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 AM

Ah yes forget to mention Button was also a maniac who raised any hand. In one he capped the reraise preflop with Q Q 3 5.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Fold preflop.
Fold flop.
Fold turn.
I think I like a call better than a raise on the river, since I'm assuming that SB has the nut high.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 AM

There's a whole bunch of possible straights out there and because the sb had already made the initial river bet (which was overcalled by utg), I prefer a raise vs. a call because the only player who hadn't acted yet was the maniac on the button.

The way this hand played out, you should expect to see a lot of second best hands and I feel they are also going to have a hard time getting away from these non-nut hands because they're not going to know who has which straight and who has the nut low/wheel. And, because the pot was multiway, I'm so less concerned about getting 1/4'd, and when an A5 makes the nut low/wheel it(should) have a much better success rate at being the only one out there(barring someone holding 3-4 perfect hole cards.

However, when it gets down to just you and the sb, and he comes back at you for a 3bet, I probably wouldn't cap it, but, I don't think you'd lose too much on that last bet either way, so I guess at that point, it doesn't much matter. Not to mention, that your real worries came before the river card even came out.

This is a routine fold for me before the flop from that position...and the hand is even more debatable when there's a maniac acting behind you. Give me a more ideal situation (ie; better position, passive game, or a shorthanded game when I can be the preflop raiser)then the play of this hand has some merit. As it stood, though, I wouldn't even call you a calling station; more like a passive maniac who wanted to throw a party...? No offense.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 PM

Can there be such a thing as a passive maniac? o_O
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 PM

I think so. The two are definitely contradictory of each other, but the result and the destination is often one in the same, the passive player just arrives a little bit later.=
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 AM

Call btf is perfectly fine and you actually have reasonable position relative to the maniac.

On the flop you can bet unless you heavily expect that button will do the betting for you and then you can raise the whole field, but because utg also showed interest in this pot you're basically forced to just call because you don't want to drive away any players (and on this flop you're making money on every bet that you get 4-1 odds).

On the turn you might have gotten 2-3 xtra outs and the pot is huge so you're forced to call.

On the river your raise is reasonable, but there is almost no point in capping that and capping is prolly marginally negative.