Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Default More intelligent 2+2 traffic analysis

ATF post

I made that post in ATF, since that is stuff a regular user would be able to do.

However, it would be even more interesting to see someone with access to the database run a query to show the number of views in each forum.

The number of viewers I ask for in the link above might serve as a reasonably proxy for the total views number, though.

In any case, I think analysis like that is much more useful than post count information. Using post counts to try and make decisions about the importance and viability of forums within 2+2 is largely just silly. A small number of posters can easily create a high post count for a forum. But there's nothing all that great about that for 2+2. In fact, I'd contend that it can even serve to degrade the quality of the forums when you have guys like db and iron prompting people to make idiotic posts just to bump up post count numbers.

These are some relatively off the cuff thoughts. Anyone who thinks post count is a more valid analysis metric than views or viewers, of course feel free to refute me.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: More intelligent 2+2 traffic analysis

Yeah, god forbid we encourage postings, cos that wouldn't encourage fun, stickiness or anything of use.

One of the key points is what generates revenue: How much revenue proportionally does 2+2 gets from number of shows / number of clickthroughs, and in what ratio?

If it's clickthroughs only, neither views not posts are necessarily significant without edeeper analysis or investigation.

In addition, a large variety of posts (even those you don't like) generate extra google/search-engine pages, which makes this site more easily findable (on purpose or by accident). (I just checked, there are 204,000 links in google to twoplustwo.com, on the widest range of subjects. Do you think less posts would make this number go up or down?)
And you grossly simplify forum dynamics by asserting views is the important thing; stickiness and interaction and a sense of community is way more important long-term.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I'd contend that it can even serve to degrade the quality of the forums when you have guys like db and iron prompting people to make idiotic posts just to bump up post count numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I get lumped in here because of the 10,000,000th post thing?

As far as what the best metric is, I think that unique daily viewers would be best since the purpose of these forums is to promote books instead of generate ad revenue.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM

iron,

You got lumped in there because of your comment "Personally, I'm just waiting for B4L to wage war on POG so they can claim the top spot." in this post.

Not a big deal, really, and your comment was probably more in jest/fun than anything else. However, the fac that many people seem to have the impression that post counts are so important and just jacking up post counts is a good idea is so terribly flawed. A small group of people making a ton of idiotic posts just doesn't add anything of any importance to the community and can even detract from it by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio.

I'm really referring to posts like this when I talk about how dumb a metric it is to use for the purposes of "what forums are most successful/valuable" discussions.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM

i guarantee the same 50 pog regulars or whatever aren't suddenly going to start clicking on ads they didn't click for months

i agree w/diablo
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

You are very one-dimensional in your thinking on what constitutes useful.

So you're suggesting views is a better metric than posts?
What makes you think that? Have you evidence a 'viewer' is more likely to generate revenue that a 'poster'? Is this 'evidence' your reasoning, or actual hard data?

Then you're suggesting one type of post is better than another - probably, but it's not a straightforward 'sensible, talking-head post' > 5 dumb posts or similar. variety is very important to keep this site sticky and busy, busy keeps this site in the search engines and makes it easier for people to encounter, and makes it a formidable internet presence. Is this valuable, you think?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM

db,

You are so dumb it makes my brain hurt. You did inspire me to start a thread about guys like you in OOT, though.

As for my thinking, it is far from one-dimensional and based on far more than simply being more intelligent and better at logic and reasoning than you. It is also based on experience working with many online properties/communities that have grown to be worth tens to hundreds of millions of dollars. I have orders of magnitude more experience helping people build successful businesses online than you will ever have.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM

db,

Your ideas about post counts, SEO, and traffic generation are also so far off the mark it's hilarious.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:19 PM

db, it seems to me you'd be better served to forget trying to argue specific terms you don't seem to really get and just think about what makes logical sense.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 PM

*sigh*

Here we go, a set of poo-flinging instead of any counter to any points I make. Another insidious dig at me or one of my posts.

It seems to me that an unpleasant air is starting to pervade this forum, one of rudeness, howler-monkey shout-downs, and just plain trying to bully your points across. Dissent is not something to be tolerated by some, it seems, and they forsake reasonable argument and discussion with digs and continued expressions of the low intelligence of others, and pushes to marginalise either mods or posters that don't see things their way.

You, El Diablo, are a rude and deeply unpleasant man. I'd hazard a guess you're just as pompous and puffed-up on your own ego in real life as on here, and I'd guess even your 'friends' don't like you overmuch.

Have a good one, I'm thoroughly sick and tired of you, you sad little man.