Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: new study on diet vs exercise

astroglide,

I'm glad you don't correlate the claims in your links with what you post in your posts. Thanks for the exciting new tip on how to decipher your counter-intuitive web of nonsense.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you say, the main thing is just to eat right and go exercise. That's what will determine fitness, not knowledge that's either perfect or esoteric. Heck, the world is full of strong, illiterate manual laborers who don't spend any time on forums trying to finesse their fitness plans at all. Most of us probably couldn't last an hour in their shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i think some of the responses in here have illustrated that people often have "beliefs" about fitness, not necessarily knowledge of fact. but they'll get defensive if their claims are questioned because they're walking the walk. that has nothing to do with the question though. many people are unable to separate "is this true or false?" from "are you involved in the lifestyle that surrounds this subject?" that's not unique to weightlifting, it happens in all vocations and hobbies. but i think the number of assertions in fitness is very high.

if you ask a bricklayer how he got so goddamn strong, he'll tell you it's because he's a bricklayer. i think it's a lot more likely that a person that reads magazines and lifts weights could go into a pseudo-scientific dissertation on the pros and cons of creatine. how many of them just say, "well i did the following things and i ended up being strong and looking good"? if something you thought was true ends up being false, who gives a [censored]? you learned something. that's not directed at you of course, just a general statement. i guess lots of people just wanna be cliff clavin.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM

thremp,
it's really simple. facts are facts, and they don't need any emotion. if you're upset about this thread, you have an entitlement disorder.

cmi,
i will post a ddr video for money. not sure what amt, but i would pick a totally gay song too. it still wouldn't be as entertaining as the idea sounds.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp,
it's really simple. facts are facts, and they don't need any emotion. if you're upset about this thread, you have an entitlement disorder.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just can't figure out WTF you are talking about half the time.

Between saying there are no sources for the article you link when it claims it has one (which may or may not be garbage, I don't know) to trying to pass off DDR as actual exercise I can't figure out WTF you are talking about in this thread.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Dieting alone also did not appear to cause the volunteers to lose muscle mass along with fat, Ravussin's team found.

"There is a concept that if you exercise, you are going to lose less of your muscle," he said. But his team found no evidence this is true.

This is also seems pretty outlandish to me, if Im reading it correctly, Id take the study with a grain of salt, just based on that fact alone.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
astro,

it wasnt really directed at you at all, most of your posts are cool. Im hungover, pissed, and really just wanted to bitch about the tone of a lot of the posters ive noticed lately

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a well-known side effect of working out hard enough to puke, you know.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it happens in all vocations and hobbies. but i think the number of assertions in fitness is very high

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Martial arts is another one that came readily to mind.

[ QUOTE ]
if something you thought was true ends up being false, who gives a [censored]? you learned something.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and that's the essence of the scientific mind-set.