Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 06:55 AM

Default A debate about Israel and the U.S. in New York City

In March 2006 the literary magazine "London Review of Books" published John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt's essay 'The Israel Lobby'. There was an extraordinary response to the article, and very passionate too, from both sides of the argument, which prompted the LRB to hold a debate under the heading 'The Israel lobby: does it have too much influence on American foreign policy?'

The debate took place in New York on 28 September in the Great Hall of the Cooper Union. The event was greatly oversubscribed, but there is a video of the event, now available online. Click here to view the debate.

Panelists:

John Mearsheimer is the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor of Political Science and the co-director of the Program on International Security Policy at the University of Chicago.
Shlomo Ben-Ami is a former Israeli foreign and security minister and the author of Scars of War, Wounds of Peace: The Israeli-Arab Tragedy.
Martin Indyk is Director of the Haim Saban Center for Middle East Policy and Senior Fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at the Brookings Institution.
Tony Judt is Erich Maria Remarque Professor in European Studies and Director of the Remarque Institute at New York University.
Rashid Khalidi is Edward Said Professor of Arab Studies and Director of the Middle East Institute at Columbia University.
Dennis Ross is Counsellor and Ziegler Distinguished Fellow of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and the author of The Missing Peace: The Inside Story of the Fight for Middle East Peace.

Moderator:

Anne-Marie Slaughter is Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and the Bert G. Kerstetter ‘66 University Professor of Politics and International Affairs at Princeton University.

It's usually educational to listen to intelligent and educated persons engaging in civilised dialogue. (I found it to be so, although the partisanship of the audience, eg clapping some panelists, was just a bit offputting. But an interesting and somber debate nevertheless. A rarity nowdays.)

Mickey Brausch
Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Re: A debate about Israel and the U.S. in New York City

Thanks, this was interesting. I wish they would have focused less on the anti-semitism charges and more on the article itself. It would cut down the length a little. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would have focused less on the anti-semitism charges and more on the article itself. It would cut down the length a little.

[/ QUOTE ] It seems to be a series of videos linked together. Only the first one, of some twnety minutes or so, seems to focus on the anti-semitism charges. After that, the panelists expand on the issues raised by the original article.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM

It does keep coming back to it though, but I do suppose it's hard to avoid. It was just a nitpick on my part since it's a lot of material to get through and I think the charges themselves are mostly baseless anyway.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM

Am I anti-semitic for believing that Western Civilisation had few positives until we started purging Hebrew mythology from our lives during the Enlightenment.

I think it's sick that the very basis of our civilisation (according to conservatives) is a book about a bunch of people who claimed to be a master race because some demented skygod apparently told them so. The Ancient Hebrews would have been fascists by modern standards!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:28 PM

Yes, it would appear that you are anti-semitic
Old 10-08-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it would appear that you are anti-semitic

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I was going to say this as well, but I'd just be scolded by Cyrus/Mickey Brausch for "not knowing the difference between anti-semitism and anti-zionism."

Also, anyone who knows anything about Judaism and its history knows that this:
[ QUOTE ]
a bunch of people who claimed to be a master race because some

[/ QUOTE ]

Is not even close to what "chosen people" means.

And the Enlightenment was not moving away from fundamentalist jewish views, it was moving away from fundamentalist christian views. Judaism (even ancient judaism) always put an absolute premium on learning and scholarship.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Anti-Semetic remarks deleted. 2 day ban.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See, I was going to say this as well, but I'd just be scolded by Cyrus/Mickey Brausch for "not knowing the difference between anti-semitism and anti-zionism."

[/ QUOTE ]

frap's comments would clearly be labeled anti-semitic, not anti-zionist...

ps... Mickey, thx for posting this...

... and canis... wtf?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

frap's comments would clearly be labeled anti-semitic, not anti-zionist...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that, and I know that..

Also, how about Canis's comment:

[ QUOTE ]
edited

[/ QUOTE ]

See, its [censored] like that that got this forum shut down a month ago.